5

MY heart was beating rapidly, but I also had to think fast

MY heart was beating rapidly, but I also had to think fast. I didn't know why I felt the urge to rush, but I was rushing. "See you in the hostel," I quickly told Inoma as I snatched my phone and made to leave.

"You're going to gist me oh," she said with a wide smile, wiggling her brows.

I giggled. "Get out," I replied her and turned to leave.

"Your food nko?" she asked quickly.

"Pay and chop the rest, or ask for take away." I didn't wait for her reply as I walked away, walking out of the cafeteria.

Walking out, I honestly began to doubt she had waited. Maybe she had left, still trying to avoid me. I didn't really get out, before I let out a sigh and wanted to turn. Who was I fooling? She didn't want to see or talk to me. I sighed again and made to turn, when I saw her. She was standing a tad far from the bottom of the metal stairs, swaying a bit from side to side. My heart leaped in joy, everything within me jumped and ran around in joy. She had actually waited for me.

I hurriedly went down the stairs, trying not to make my wide smile come off as creepy.

"Thank you so much," she said to me as I got to her, smiling a bit. "I don't know how I can reciprocate this kindness of yours."

I shook my head. "You don't need to."

"Please, let me. What is your account number?"

I shook my head, smiling. "I don't need anything from you."

"Are you sure?"

And like that, I wasn't sure anymore. I did want something from her, but she had already said no. I shrugged. "You already said no to what I want, so…" I trailed.

She sighed, letting her shoulders fall. "I really don't do human art, I-"

"No, I want to be your friend," I cut her off, slipping my purse and wallet into my left joggers pocket, along with the right, stretching. "Just want to be friends," I kind of lied. It was a half lie, more like a harmless lie. White lie, if I may. I wanted more from her, sure, but also her friendship.

She sighed. "I don't have that answer right now."

I nodded.

We both fell into a few seconds of silence, giving me a tad time to admire her. Her hair was held up in a full bun, with single braids at both edges, a clear bead holding them down. The style really made her diamond face pop, highlighting every feature. She had no makeup on. I almost physically melted at the sight of her. She was so gorgeous.

She used her thumb to point behind her and said, "I guess I got to go now."

My heart sunk, I didn't want us to part. Just like that? No. "Can I?" I asked, stretching my hands to the exit, where she had pointed to.

To my greatest surprise, she nodded and began to walk, prompting me to follow suit.

She held her latest iPhone in her right hand, while her earphone hung around her neck. The blue jean she was wearing, made her shape pop. I felt a blush heat up my cheek as I walked behind her, hastening up so I could catch up with her.

"First time here?" I asked her, considering how she had left her purse for a bit. Someone who was regular at places like that, was never going to leave any of their property for 'just a bit'.

She nodded. "Yes, actually," she said, then explained further. "Test are drawing close, and rehearsals have started. So, they kind of picked my spot today, and when I tried to move, there wasn't any other good spot, so I took a food break. I usually go to the complex opposite FSS, you know it?" she asked, I nodded. I knew every food complex in that unilag. From shop 10 to Iya Moria. No shaking. "But then," she continued, "I overheard some people talking about how this place has the best food on campus, so I wanted to try."

I smiled as we waited to cross the road to Access Bank. "I won't say best," I told her, "But they are doing a really fine job. Next time, go to Mama Joe. Perfect joint."

She smiled gently, then nodded as we crossed. "I'll try to keep that in mind."

"And don't leave your purse for a second. Nobody is nice around here. Every single person is moving mad," I quickly added, causing her smile to widen, displaying her perfectly arranged clean teeth. I could have sworn it was the first time I had even seen her smile so wide. She never did that whenever I watched her.

She nodded, but didn't reply. So, we slipped into silence. We walked side by side to FSS, not saying a word. I didn't know if it was exactly a comfortable silence, but I didn't feel the urge to talk. Her presence alone was just so relaxing, I enjoyed it.

When we got to her faculty, she stopped by the cement chairs. "I guess this is bye," she said with a smile. "Since we have nothing to say, simply just walking is…" She trailed, not wanting to say the word or not having it.

I wasn't offended or hurt by her words, I didn't mind it being our goodbye. The fact that she wasn't rejecting me anymore, was enough. It had made my day already and all the sadness I had been feeling, had flown to the sky. But, as I was about to agree to her words, I remembered her misplacing her purse and became bothered on how she was going to transport herself or do anything, so I asked, "Do you stay in school?"

She shook her head. "Nope, outside."

I frowned, worrying. "Then, how do you intend on getting to where your place of rest is? Should I give you some money?"

She chuckled, then pointed to a silver Benz M-class at the parking lot. "That's my car," she told me, causing my mouth to almost open.

Okay, I didn't know she is rich. Erm…

I nodded, trying to act unfazed. "That's cool then. I'll see you around, I guess."

She nodded, while I turned to leave. But, immediately stopped in my tracks when a thought popped into my mind. She doesn't find me uncomfortable any more, why don't I push my luck? I smiled. "Can I get your number?"

Thankfully, she was still standing and hadn't left yet. She smiled a bit, nodding. "Yes."

My eyes physically widened in shock, causing her to chuckle. I honestly wasn't expecting her to say yes. I was expecting her to quickly shuu me away, but she said yes. Oh my gawd! I was going to explode from joy. I had to maintain. I shook my head, bringing out my phone from my pocket and handing it to her.

She typed her number and then called it, causing her phone to vibrate in her arm. "That's it," she replied me with a smile and gave me my phone back. "Thank you once again," she appreciated me, causing me to shake my head.

"Don't jare." I smiled, then waved as I left for real, trying my hardest not to turn back.

I didn't make it far, before I heard someone say, "Are you a lesbian or what?"

I froze.