09 - SCRATCHES

The polices guns starts firing and panic blared in the background

The polices guns starts firing and panic blared in the background. Lily seemed to freeze in fear while Poppy tried to get her to move, to function. 

"Lily," Poppy screamed, "please!" That seemed to snap Lily out of her daze and instead her eyes welled up with tears and the tears rolled down her face in pure fear. It wasn't long before their feet started to move as fast as possible and people seemed to disappear into the school. It seemed that the police were the only ones still outside and with the monster still shooting at it.  

A scream was unleashed from the beast as he attacked the police officers nearby. Most did escape the attack but took some people down. 

"I'm scared," Lily whispered huddled close to Poppy. 

"I'll protect you," Poppy promised. Her eyes were wide eyed trying to determine where the beast was going to go and how fast. Poppy then saw Reese in the distance, looking for her. The beast looked to be heading towards him and although she promised him nothing she felt the need to protect him and did the stupidest thing ever and headed towards the beast with nothing but determination. 

The beast looked at her and fling their arm towards her only giving the slightest scratch on her chin and she ducks last minute. She goes between the legs of the monster and goes on top of Reese in either bravery or stupidity. 

"Poppy get out of here." 

"No," Poppy replied stubbornly. The beast roared once again and used their claws towards her stomach catching some of her skin in their fingers. Reese pulls her away from the beast and picks her up. It hurts extremely for Poppy. Her eyesight starts to get blurry around the edges but she still saw the amazing feet of another claw attacking the beast. Managing to get at it. The face turns to her and she saw some hybrid of a human and something she couldn't pin point. 

"Go," he roars at them. Poppy helpless lets Reese do the work of running away from the scene. 

"Lily," Poppy moans, "she's back there. I need to save her." 

"I'm sure she knows what to do," Reese assures her. 

"But I need to protect her I promised," Poppy explained but growing quieter, sleepier. 

"Stay awake Poppy," Reese commanded as he walked into the library. 

"Poppy?" Nathan asked climbing out from his hiding place. He runs toward her she can't help  but smile. 

"You're cute when you're worried. Where's my dad?"

"He's not here, I think he bailed into the locker room." Nathan guided the two towards his hiding space with a few other people. 

"Nathan you're hiding places suck," Poppy comments but groans in pain as she is set down. Nathan grows concerned getting a better look at her. 

"She was trying to save me," Reese comments stressed out by the situation, "she did save me." 

"I know, I'm a hero but that means you can't be guilty about it. It would really bum me out, promise?" 

"Okay?" 

"You're going to be okay Pops," Nathan said his voice wavering as he gets the hair out of her face. 

Though as he said that another commotion is heard above the concerned whispering among the students. The students scream because the beast found the location of the most flesh. Maybe guided by the scent of her blood oozing out of her but the fear outweighed the need for thinking, just actions. Nathan holds Poppy's hand tighter to ground her to him and to somewhat ease her fears though they were highly valid. 

The same or different hybrid - Poppy was too confused to determine it - started to attack the beast and quite well for being smaller and arguably weaker than the monster. Loud sounds then replaced the sounds of growls, a shotgun that shot at the beast doing damage against it enough for it to jump out the window. Nathan covered himself over Poppy to prevent any glass shards from getting into her open wounds. 

"A gentlemen," Poppy commented and as the adrenaline left her sleepiness replaced it with a vengeance. Her eyes started to drop feeling increasingly heavy. 

"I'm going to find someone to help," Reese said determinedly. 

"With a beast out there you're only going to come back as a ghost," Nathan argued. Reese then sat down but not as determinedly. 

Another noise was heard by the students and they coward in fear of it. Poppy braced herself for something worse but to her shock and awe it was her father with Lily in trail. Her father was carrying a bat in self protection which served more of a purpose of confidence other than actual defense. 

"Where's Poppy?" Her dad called out over the crowd of students relieved for the presence of their teacher. Poppy raised her hand idly while still on the ground, she did not look good. Her father ran towards her concerned. 

"You're hurt." 

"Huh that's why pain is shooting through me," Poppy replied sarcastically. 

"Alright I can get you out of here, I guess I can get everyone out of here." Students sparked up in hope at his statement. 

"Okay a lot of people are in here," coach noticed for the first time. 

As the people tumbled out of the library racked up in fear and trauma Nathan picked up Poppy beside Lily, Reese and her father. Poppy then began to shut down her eyes finally closed and her brain going into unconsciousness. 

"Poppy, we're getting you to a hospital, stay strong. Stay alive." This was the last thing Poppy heard before nodding off unwillingly into sleep. A peaceful sleep for her but terrifying to the people surrounding her.