05 - PITY

Poppy made it into the school with her father without tarnishing her recent reputation

Poppy made it into the school with her father without tarnishing her recent reputation. She even got looks of respect that made Poppy giggle to herself. If anything she was the handful and not her father. 

Poppy then passed Reese and his demeanor changed. He looked concerned and uncomfortable. Sure, Poppy could see Reese as an awkward person embedded into his personality but this was different he was truly out of place and it had something to do with her. 

"I'll see you later dad." Poppy then left her father alone to his own devices and tried to rekindle herself with Reese. Something was definitely off since he didn't even want to associate with her. What could she had possibly done? Her fears were noticed by Nathan who in turn went to console her. 

"What's wrong?" Nathan asks concerned laced into his voice. It coaxes Poppy's ears like honey to hear the comforting voice of a friend. Poppy turns to face Nathan putting on a small smile for show. 

"Reese is ignoring me. It's not like him and I'm worried that I had something to do with it." 

"Reese?" Nathan questioned not hearing the name, "you mean Greenberg?" 

"Yeah," Poppy responded, "we were fine yesterday but I walk into school and he acts like I bullied his dog." 

"Weird did your dad say anything to him to get him like that?" 

"What does my dad have to do with him?" Nathan responded to that question by laughing hysterically. 

"Only everything. One of the reasons why Greenberg is so low on the totem pole that is our school is because your father targets him." 

"Why would he do that?" 

"I dunno," Nathan admitted dumbly. 

"That's idiotic," Poppy concludes still trying to reel in all the new information. 

"It might also be because Greenberg wasn't really at his best in his freshman year."

"How so?" Poppy asked trying to absorb everything Nathan had to say about her new friend. 

"Did he tell you he was held back a few times. Well I don't want to expose him but there was a reason behind all those setbacks." 

"Oh," Poppy mouthed not knowing how to process all of that. She knew that he was held back but his reasoning just seemed to be minor inconveniences then anything actively damaging. 

"I have to go talk to my classmate over there," Nathan explained composing himself, "they have all the class notes and I have a test in literally ten minutes. Wish me luck." 

"Good luck," Poppy said as Nathan disappeared into the crowd and Poppy felt isolated with her thoughts. Poppy then felt a weight building on her shoulders and a pair of friendly hands. Poppy was ready to swing violently at the person when she saw that it was Lily from last night. 

"Thank you so much for everything last night," Lily praised Poppy in a cheerful tone, "you really had my back and I appreciate that."

"Sure thing. I mean I know its important to have a drink buddy with you and I'm glad I could be one. Even if I was sober. Speaking of which, you do not seem hungover you drank a lot last night. You seem even cheerful." 

"Yeah well if you have a good hangover relief recipe its super easy to be cheerful and appreciative of everything and everyone." 

"I like your style," Poppy complimented, "personality and clothing wise." 

"Thank you," Lily smiled. 

"What classes do you have?" Poppy asked curious to see if they had any shared classes. Lily smiled opening up her bag and handing Poppy her timetable. 

"We have English together," Poppy took notice smiling. Poppy then saw a glance from Reese and Poppy stopped and stared at him in both sympathy and concern. She still had no idea what the hell was going on, "excuse me for a minute." 

Poppy stepped away from Lily and made a beeline towards Reese in determination. He looked to be in flight mode trying to find a path to narrowly escape though Poppy made it seemingly impossible to do so. 

"Reese please don't try to avoid me. I don't bite." Reese didn't respond looking to Poppy to talk more in this conversation he was willing to let her on. 

"Are you lying to me?" Poppy asked innocence laced in her voice.

"Not really."

"Lies of omission?" Poppy suggests, "I know you are not letting me know everything about yourself. About things that have to do with people I'm associated with." 

"Why were you with the coach."

"He's my dad," Poppy admitted and Reese's face grew sinister. 

"Then he would probably not want us to talk to one another and would criticize anything that has happened before. Everything that has happened before." 

"Reese everything that we've done together I don't regret. I am more than a daughter of a father. I barely even know him." 

"But once you get to know him you and I will be affected." 

"Then tell me beforehand. What have you done?" Reese didn't respond, instead walked away and Poppy didn't bother to follow.