06 - CONFRONTATION

Poppy made a beeline for her father's office

Poppy made a beeline for her father's office. Her fists clenched in a sense of determination. Her hand hovered over the doorknob. She heard a commotion behind the door and ran in to see what the sound was about. She stiffened a chuckled at the sight in front of her. 

See saw her father caught up within the phone cord as well as in papers which caused him to fall off of his rolling chair. 

"You're a mess," Poppy stated neutrally. 

"Just help me untangle," her dad replied frustrated. Poppy lowered herself to his level on the floor and took away the phone cord from his face.

"I must ask, how did you manage to get yourself in this situation?" 

"If you must know I was on the phone with a parent and I was also trying to find a file on a student and I ended up like this." 

"Again you're a mess." Poppy managed to get her father back situated on the chair while a mess of papers were thrown about in the office. 

"I know but thanks to you I can still get up off my feet, literally." Poppy's heart melted a bit at that statement and felt her initial anger and determination fade away. 

"Anyway is there a reason why you managed to arrive here so quickly?" Coach asked. 

"Nope, just a really lucky coincidence, for you." 

"Alright well you should probably skedaddle before people recognize our resemblance. I don't want to embarrass you during your first week." 

"Dad, don't worry about it. You're not giving credit to my oh so charming personality." 

"Well that is not genetic, that was conjured up from you." The bell then rang and Poppy remembered she had class on the other side of the school meaning intense speed walking. She waved to her pops before heading out into the hallway filled with other student bodies. 

As Poppy was walking she was suddenly pulled away from the crowd and into Nathan. 

"Hiya stranger," Poppy greeted, "what do you need?" 

"Well I was just thinking we could do something for lunch together, like a date?" 

"How much courage did you need to ask that question?" 

"Surprising more than usual. So what's answer?" Poppy hummed in response. 

"Well how about this, our date will be PG-13 until I make my decision about you and if we should do something more." 

"Wow that's a little pressure." 

"What does that mean you won't perform well Nathaniel?" 

"No way Poppy seed." 

"Then I'll see you at lunch." The bell then rang and the crowd was thinning out dangerously. 

"Shit," Poppy mumbled realizing she was late was her class, on the first week no less.

"I wouldn't worry about being late, your have Mr. Matthew's right?" 

"Yeah," Poppy drawled on. 

"You'll be fine then. You're also coach's daughter." 

"Alright I'll see you at lunch then, Nathaniel."

"Sure thing Poppy seed." A smile graces Poppy's face which continues as she walks the abandoned hallway into class. As Nathan stated the teacher really did not care about her tardiness into class. She sat near the back to make herself unseen. 

Though Poppy looked to the side to see Reese beside her in the next desk over. 

"Hey slugger," Poppy attempted to greet Reese in her undeniably frustration and upset over the situation that none of them had control of. In response to the seemingly innocent way to reach out he made himself unavailable by coiling himself to confoundments of his desk being quite tight fitting for him to begin with. 

"Did I miss anything?" Poppy asked to get something else out of him - pure engagement interest. Poppy was met with a blank stare. 

"Leave me alone, please," Reese responded a few decimals short of a bitter tone. Poppy ceased but her heart sunk in her chest. It was hard to concentrate in class as the teacher's talking was droned out by the pitter patter of her heart almost like a bass in her head.  

Poppy couldn't believe the audacity in Reese to push her away like this when she personally hadn't been anything but kind and herself to him. She pushed back her thoughts attacking him and tried to distract herself. 

Her mind drifted to Nathan and how he was so willing to please her, make her feel appreciated. Maybe trying to attach herself to someone not happy to be attached to could be let go it would probably make them feel better in the long haul.  Poppy relaxed a tad bit successfully calming herself down. The bell eventually rang and Poppy flew out of her seat into the hall looking for Nathan. 

She saw a glimpse of him ahead of her blocked by bunches of people in front of her. Being nothing but obstacles. 

"Nathan," Poppy shouts over the crowd. He looks at her and she manages her way over to him. He's smiling at her, Poppy smiles back in response, almost shyly. 

"Hey Pop-" Poppy blocks off his greeting by pulling him close to her body feeling the heat radiating off of his body. Poppy grabbed the sides of his face her thumb brushing his sideburns then pulling his face close to her and brushing her lips against his. 

"What's your definition of PG-13 Pops?" Poppy chuckled and went in to kiss him with his willing consent. She breaths him in and gasps in result of it. 

"Come on," Nathan guides Poppy away from the peering eyes, "I know someplace to go."