Chapter 8: Let Me Help You

Three days later and I'm perfectly fine. The stitches desolved, leaving my thigh feeling as good as new. There's a small scar left behind, one that I don't really care about.

I'm walking back to the Dauntless-Born training room after depositing one of the initiates at the infirmary. It was Marlene, who took a nasty blow to the head by her friend Lynn when they were matched to fight. She was knocked unconsious, forcing me to bring her to a nurse. 

I resumed training the Dauntless-Borns this morning. They're all very skilled, but I can pick at least three from the crowd that are currently struggling. I've seen transfers fight better than them, and they're falling down in rankings. 

I spot Four at the end of the hallway, heading right towards me. It's not until we meet in the middle do I realize how furious he is.

"What-"

"Don't." He interrupts. "You need to control your sadistic boyfriend. He's getting out of hand, I can't take it anymore. I'm about-"

"Woah, woah," I hold up my hands to stop him. "Before you loose your mind, tell me what happened."

He inhales sharply, then motions over his shoulder with his thumb. "Eric just hung a transfer over the Chasm."

"What?!"

"Yeah. Christina. He made her grab onto the rail and hang over the current because she couldn't fight any longer. I left for five minutes tops to bring Will to the infirmary and I make it back just in time to see her being pulled up by Tris and Al."

I sigh. "I'll talk to him."

"You better." He warns, starting to walk away.

I follow him and we fall into stride towards the pit. Training's done for the day, so we have the rest of the night off.

"Where are you going?" I ask as we reach a fork in the pathway.

"The control room. I have to get my mind off things."

"And watching serveillance is going to do the job?"

"Yes." Is all he says before we part ways.

I venture to the pit on my own. It's alive and booming with chatter, and it's only six-thirty.

I spot my sister in the crowd of initiates. They were all just lagging around on the rocks, talking to each other. I make my way down to there, only to realize she's heading away from me.

"Charlie!" I call.

She immediately turns around and smiles when she realizes it's me. She waits for me to catch up to her, as does the rest of her group. She's become close with Tris and her friends. Christina leans against Will for support when I finally reach them.

"Are you alright?" I ask her.

She nods a reply. I wonder if she thinks I'm as malicious as Eric.

"What's up?" My sister asks.

"Where are you off to in such a hurry?" 

"We're going to get tattoos!" She says, turning to grin at her friends.

"Oh, no." I shake my head. "You're not getting a tattoo."

Her posture sags a bit, as if I deflated her. "Why not? Are we not allowed to?"

"No, you're allowed to. I just don't want you too."

"And why is that..."

"You're not an actual Dauntless. Not yet, anyway."