Chapter 2: Jumper Number Six

It's been a week since I last spoke with Four. I try to keep my distance from him whenever Eric is around, afraid he might suspect something. So far, he hasn't.

Today, I stand beside Four. It wasn't my intention, but Max had assigned us both this position.

We're currently standing underneath a gaping whole in the ceiling. A net is set up beside us, ready to catch the falling intiates who will soon be pitching themselves off the roof. I smirk to myself as I remeber the first time I jumped. At the time, I was fifth in line, clutching nervously to Eric's hand who was positioned infront of me. When the third person threw themselves off the building, Eric stepped forward. I tried to let go of him, tried to give him space so he could run and jump like he had orginally planned. But the second Max cleared him to dive, I felt myself being dragged forward. With a final shove, Eric had thrown me off the roof.

I'll be totally honest here, I pissed myself. As I was flailing threw the air, to what I presumed was the fall to my death, my body suddenly went into shock. I was not prepared for that, I didn't have time to be! When I finaly hit the net, I couldn't move. Lauren, who's a class higher than me, had to literally climb onto the net and pull me off of it. The moment my feet hit the floor, I fell to my knees and dry heaved. A minute later, Eric hit the net, laughing histerically.

I check my watch. I expect the initiates to fall in about five minutes. I can hear Max speaking diligently to our new faction members up on the roof. The frequently asked questions, "You want us to jump again?" and "Is there water at the bottom or something?" are being thrown into the air. I snicker as I hear Eric's monotone voice answer "Yes" and "I guess you'll find out....or not."

After listening to what felt longer than five minutes of complete silence as the intiates hesitated to jump, I finally hear a scream. I step back, allowing Four to take the first initiate. I watch as a streak of grey flies through the air and lands in the net. Her body is thrown into the air once more before the net settles around her. She takes a minute to herself, breathing heavily before she lets out a laugh.

My eyes widen as I take in the grey suited figure.

Abnegation.

I turn my attention to Four. He quickly glances at me and for a minute I see a flash of panic in his expression. It disappears in an instance and his face suddenly turns cold. He outstretches his hand towards her and she takes it gratefully, muttering a quiet "Thank you." He pulls her off the net and sets her down in front of him.

I break the silence, "Can't believe it. A stiff, the first to jump? Unheard of!"

"There's a reason why she left them, Gem." Four growls at me, then focuses his attention on the stiff, "What's your name?"

The stiff hesitates, her mouth hanging open. Four gives her a small smile and I'm shocked, "Think about it," He says, "You don't get to pick again."

She nods, still trying to catch her breath, "Tris....my name's Tris."

"Make the announcement, Four." I say.

"First jumper--Tris!" He shouts, and the crowd that has gathered erupts into shouts and fists pumps.

As he welcomes her to Dauntless, another jumper has fallen. This one a Candor girl that goes by the name Christina. I help her from the net. Four and I switch every other Initiate to give each other the time to help the latest intiate off the platform.

This goes on for about twenty more minutes. It's my turn to grab the next jumper, number 6. I time 30 seconds on my watch and listen as another scream fills the air. My palms begin to sweat, nausea sets in my stomach.

I know that scream.

A/N;

I know this is an extremely short chapter BUT it's pretty late. I wanted to get this one out for you guys! I promise I'll get the next one up soon. College has gotten in the way recently, so I'm trying to make time! Thank God for long weekends! Enjoy!