Chapter 6: Shots Fired

I wake up bright and early at around seven a.m.

I jump in the shower to warm myself up, the Autumn breeze still flowing through the apartment windows. As I stand underneath the boiling hot water, I run my fingers over the permanite ink that's sprawled across the skin of my ribcage. In black, blotted type writer font, it reads;

We believe in ordinary acts of bravery,
in the courage that drives one person
to stand up for another.

I think about the meeting we had last night at Erudite. None of that matches the Dauntless Manifesto. Max is stripping Dauntless of it's courage that drives each and every one of us to stand up for each other. I can't tell if he's afraid of Jeanine, or if he agrees with all of her plans. Why now? Have they been meeting secretly all these years?

My thoughts are interrupted when a giant hand comes flying out of nowhere and pulls back the shower curtain.

"Jesus Christ!" I scream. Eric blinks at me, confused, so I sigh out, "You just scared the shit out of me."

He rolls his eyes and says, "Max needs my help with something. I know you're suppose to help Lauren with the Dauntless-Borns, but Four is going to need you more. When you're out of the shower, head down to the transfer dormitory and wake them up."

"Am I training them all day?"

"I don't fucking know. Can you just do as I say for once? If I finish early, I'll take over."

I turn off the shower and motion for him to hand me my towel. Instead of throwing it, which I really thought he would, he wraps it around my body and tucks it tightly around my breasts.

"Thanks," I grumble, flicking my wet hair in his direction.

He wipes his face of the water droplets, then grabs onto my hips. My arms are pinned between the pair of us as he pulls me into him.

"Eric," I mutter, wiggling in his grasp, "I can't-"

He interrupts me by planting a kiss on my lips. I lean all of my weight into him, giggling as he gnaws on my bottom lip. After a moment, I pull my face away from his, feeling the heat of his breath on my skin as he huffs at me.

"You take a lot of shit from me," He says, "You know that?"

I smile, finally freeing one hand and swiping the pad of my thumb over his lips, "Ehh, It's because I love you."

"I don't say that enough, do I?"

"What, that I take a lot of shit from you?"

"No, not that. I mean, I don't tell you how much I love you enough."

"I don't know." I admit, giving him a gentle smile, "But I love it when you say it."

"Well, I love you, Gem." He kisses me once more, his lips lingering for a minute. Then he adds, "And I will never hurt you."

I pull away and give him a questioning look, "What?"

He offers me a smile, then smacks my ass and untangles himself from me. "You better hurry or else you're going to be late."
______

He was right. I'm late.

I sprint my way down to the transfer dorm and land at the entrance right as Four starts banging on a metal pipe with a rench.

"You have thirty minutes to eat. Training starts at eight. Get a move on." He shouts.

Last night before bed, Four gave them the usual speech. He explained the three stages of initiation; physical, emotional, and mental. Then he went into the rankings and how each initiate will be scored. They all freaked out, asking why. When Four told them it was because only the top ten initiates get to stay in Dauntless, they went balistic. Pretty funny.