Chapter 1: Four

It's past midnight, maybe two in the morning.

I would love to know the exact time, but Eric doesn't keep a clock on either of his night stands. It's pitch black outside from what I can tell as I gaze through the windows of his apartment. They're wide open, letting in the Autumn breeze that sends shivers down my spine. Eric loves the cold. It could be negative degrees in his apartment and he wouldn't shudder once. He generates so much body heat that if the room were any warmer, he would burst into flames.

It's one of those nights where I can't sleep.

Earlier this evening, us Dauntless Leaders had dinner with Jeanine Mathews at Erudite Headquarters. It was basically a final meeting before the Choosing Ceremony, only days a way. For the past few months, Erudite contracted the help of Dauntless for a very confidential allegiance. The meetings that were held were of one thing and one thing only;

The Divergent.

Apparently, divergents were more of a problem than what we orginally thought. Of course, Jeanine was the one to bring it to our attention; her world has revovled around them for years on end. She informed us that divergent results have risen drastically during Aptitude testing over the last few years and that it was time to take a stand. Of course, we listened to her. She's an amazing speaker and extremely persuasive. She had somehow convinced us all that divergents were a threat to our system. Our system, that has bought us nothing but peace is now in danger all because a few people didn't fit into a specific category. Or, as she put it, they were people who could not be controlled.

That's when I called bullshit.

Not outloud, sadly. But I did interrupt her several times. I absolutely hate being anywhere near Erudite Headquarters, let alone inside it and in the presence of Jeanine Mathews. God, I hate everything about that faction. Which is why I transferred. But yet, not matter what I do, it seems inevitable to completely walk away from the place that I had suffered in for sixteen years.

It seemed I was the only one to question her theory. Not only was she willing to start an all out war just because of divergence, she was betting her life that the majority of it was due to Abnegation. So in her eyes, not only were they birthing Divergents, they were corrupting the government. To Jeanine, Abnegation were liers. They also threatened our system, therefore there must be a change. A war. A war that no matter what, we would win. With the power of unity from both our factions, we would wage war and become the new government our world deserved.

I laughed at this. Sitting beside me at the meeting was Eric. Several times he had griped my thigh tightly underneath the table and squeezed with all of his might to get me to shut up. He whispered threats into my ears when he thought no one was looking. He demanded that I stopped acting so foolish and that I should actually listen to what the Erudite were saying. Why? Because he agreed with everything Jeanine said. And so did the other three Dauntless Leaders. I seemed to be the only one objectiying this whole situation.

Why? Why was I willing to risk my life by arguing with Jeanine Mathews each time at those meetings?

Simple.

I'm Divergent.

It wasn't until the very few last meetings did I finally keep my mouth shut. I suddenly realized that it was quite obvious I was defending divergents, when I really wasn't trying to. I was only trying to make them see the faults in their plans. At least, that's what I told Max, the head of the Dauntless Leaders. He reported back to Jeanine who then came up to me and thanked me for trying to test her. She said she had great fun challenging me and that It was clear that I still had a little bit of Erudite inside me, which she admired greatly. I gritted my teeth and thanked her for understanding.