Chapter Thirteen

Between going to sleep early, waking up this morning, and downing 3 cups of coffee, I still feel so drained.
I feel like I'm walking through mud, like a blanket of darkness is covering me.
I don't know why but I think it's because I have been away from the guy's energy for so long.

Grabbing my phone, I go to Mason's contact and dial it; after everything that has happened, we can't let that keep us apart.
We have a job to do even if we can't be together romanticly.

The call goes to voicemail, and I sigh, so much for that.
I'm still determined to keep my grades up, well, partially because all I want is to climb back into bed, but I force myself out the door and to school anyway.

I make it to lunch but still no sign of the guys today either, and the headache behind my eyes is slowly getting worse.

"You ready for tonight?" spencer says, walking up to me in the hallway.

"I am." I squint.

"Are you okay?" Spencer asks and grabs my shoulder to stop me from walking.

"Yeah, just a headache."

He turns and grabs something from his bag and hands it to me,
"here, it's aspirin."

"Thanks," I say as I take a few and hand the bottle back to him.

"Let me know if you need any more."
I nod and smile, and we head to the next class.

The rest of the day passes quickly after the aspirin kicks in, and before I know it I'm walking out to meet Spencer in the parking lot.

"You look better," he says, walking towards me.

"I feel better, thank you."

"You're welcome," he says, bumping my shoulder.

"You can follow me to my house; I have something I'm excited to try."

"Okay"
I say, a little exasperated; he is way too excited for how drained I feel.

After following him in my car for a little while, we come upon a neighborhood with a few houses that line the road. I pull up behind him as he pulls into a small brown and white house.
Following him inside, it's small but very modern, and it seems it's just him here.

"Sit anywhere you like," Spencer says before walking into the other room.

I'm sitting on the sofa when he returns with two sodas and sets them on the coffee table.

"Want anything to eat?"

"I'm okay, thanks," I reply, "is it just you living here?"

Sighing he sits down, "yes just me, I used my ability to deal with the school and parents part, which I'm assuming is what you did as well."

"I guess that makes sense as to why they didn't ask so many questions."

"mmm," he nods and picks up his drink.

"So what did you want to try?"

"Well, there is something else I can do, and I'm curious to see if you can do it."

He takes a drink of his soda and then sets it down and grabs my hand; immediately, I hear his voice in my head,
"Hey Sarah."

I quickly look at his mouth, but it's not moving,
"You are telepathic," I whisper.

"I am, and you may be too," he says in my head again.

His voice is kind of echoing and feels strange inside my head, but I smile because this is very cool.

"Try it," he smiles.

I focus on his mind and speak the words in my head, "can you hear me?"

His smile grows wider as he nods his head.

"Ha," I grin, "way-cool," I say in my head, and he laughs.

"Can we do it without holding hands?" I ask.

"I've never been able to, but you can try," he says, letting go of my hands and breaking the connection in my head.

Focusing entirely on his mind, I say in my head,

"hello."

He smiles, "it's faint, but I heard it; try again."

"I am hungry now," I say louder in my head, focusing on his mind.

He starts laughing, "okay, you didn't have to scream, ill order some pizzas."

"I screamed?" I ask out loud.

"a bit."

Still laughing, he gets up and goes to the phone to order some pizza.

I'm starving and tired; I feel like I'm draining all my energy even though I want to keep trying.
I wish the guys were here to see this; I hope they contact me soon to tell them all the new things I can do.
I kind of hate that I keep thinking of them when I haven't heard one thing from them, I don't know when I got so attached, but I have a feeling I won't be getting over it anytime soon.

After the pizzas arrive, we spend the rest of the night eating and watching movies, its actually the best night I've had since the cabin.

"hey, there is a party tomorrow night, do you want to go?" spencer asks all of a sudden

"oh," I say, caught off guard, "I don't really like big crowds of people."

"I know me either, but I thought it might be fun with you. Kendra is throwing it at her house, it's supposed to be huge" he smiles.

"Ah yes, i remember this party," I say with a little bitterness in my voice.

"I take it you met Kendra?"

"I have"

"I'm sure we won't even run into her, might be fun to relax for a while, you have been working hard this week"

He is right I have worked hard on my abilities and school this past week. I have had fun with him, and maybe it will be fun just to let go and relax a little.

"Okay, sure, but if it gets lame, I will probably ditch you."

"So ill drive so you can't escape," he laughs.

"Oh, you are evil" laughing, I throw a pizza crust at him.

A look crosses his face that I can't decipher; he almost looks sad,
"you okay?"

Shaking his head, he gives me a small smile,
"Yeah, it's just been nice spending time you; who knew?"

I scoff at that, "wow, I'm not that bad."

"You definitely are not,"
he says seriously and then turns back to the movie. Okay then.

A party... what did I get myself into?