Chapter Eighteen

I'm sitting in a chair in the dining room with my leg up as Eli inspects it.
We arrived home, and Forrest insisted on carrying me inside.

He has since disappeared as Eli started inspecting my wound.

"Well, it looks like the bullet just grazed you, but it will need stitches, I'll go get my kit," he sighs and leaves the room.

I rub a hand over my face and think about how thankful I am that nothing happened to Asher and Mason.
I couldn't even imagine them getting hurt.

"Hey," I hear and look up; Asher is standing in front of me, leaning on the door.

"Hey, Asher," I smile.

"I just wanted to say thank you for saving my life," he says softly.

Asher has always been kind of quiet. I know he feels a lot, constantly worrying about the others.

"It was nothing."

"No, it was everything. I don't know what could have happened without you." He says pulling out a chair and sitting beside me.

I just nod.
I really get it; things could have been so much worse.

"You have no idea how much we need you."

I swallow feeling the tension mounting in the room as he leans forward brushing my cheek with the back of his hand.

"How much we love you," he whispers cupping my face as I lean into him.

Slowly he leans down and brushes his lips against mine, passionately and tender, in a way that is inherently Asher.

Reaching up I grab his shirt and deepen the kiss. Sparks ignite into flames as I get lost in the sensuality of his touch.

With a smile against my lips, Asher pulls back to rest his forehead against mine.
"I've wanted to do that for a long time" he breathes.

"Please don't wait so long next time" I chuckle.

"Indeed" he says before kissing my forehead and standing up to leave.

He stops at the threshold of the door and turns back.

"When you are done here, go talk to Forrest."

"I don't think he wants to see me right now" I sigh.

Asher smiles, "I'll let you in on a little secret; Forrest feels more deeply than the rest of us. When he loves, he does it fiercely.
He finally accepted his love for you, and then he could have lost you. He is just working through those feelings, and he needs you right now."

He walks out after saying this.
Eli walks in and I think over what he said as Eli stitches up my leg.
It hurts more now that the adrenaline has worn off, so I grunt as he finishes up.

"Here, these will help with the pain," he says, handing me two white pills and pats my back, dismissing me.

I walk to the sink, get some water, take the pills, and head up the stairs to where I knew I would ultimately end up. I knock on the door and get no answer, so I slowly turn the knob and enter the room.

The room is dark as I enter, and I almost think Forrest isn't there until I turn and see him sitting in a chair in the corner.

"Why are you sitting in the dark," I ask as I shut the door.

He just sighs as he looks at me.
"What do you want?"

"I came to check on you. Are you still mad at me?"