Chapter Nineteen

The guys help me move the stuff out of my apartment, which didn't take long because I don't have much.
I make sure to carry the duffel bag that contains the money and book, and the guys didn't question it, which makes me feel more guilty for hiding it.

We drive back to the house and bring the boxes up to my room. After putting the boxes in the corner and putting the furniture in a storage shed on the side of the house, we head to the kitchen for lunch.

Ella has cooked some burgers, and we are all sitting around the table when Eli walks in.

"Hey kids, I've got to go out of town for a while, probably a few days," he says, leaning against the door and folding his arms.

"Where to doc?" Mason asks between bites of his burger.

"I can't say for now," he says.

Everyone stops eating and looks at him. I take it this is not normal before a mission.

"How come?" Asher says, now thoroughly intrigued.

"Well, it's an intel-seeking mission, and I can't say anything about it until I get back. I'm sorry, boys. I know I don't normally keep secrets, but this could be essential to our goal to stop Blayde. I will update you when I get back."

The boys nod but still look uneasy. I look at Eli, he smiles at me and turns and heads back to his study. The smile doesn't quite reach his eyes, though, and I can feel something is off.

Ella smiles at us, "you kids done? I put a movie on in the living room."

This seems to ease the mood, and the guys help bring the dishes to the kitchen, and then we sit on the sofa and watch the movie.
After the movie, we are just hanging out talking about different things they want to try later in training when my phone goes off with a text notification.
I get it out of my pocket and read it.

"I have some papers for you from the school if you want to meet me" -spencer.

I stare at it, confused. I'm not sure what papers Spencer would have for me that the school couldn't email, but maybe he just wants to see me, and after what happened the last time I saw him, perhaps I should meet with him to smooth things over.
He was there for me when I needed it.

I text back that I'll meet him in a few minutes and move my legs from Caleb's lap.

"Where you going, baby girl?" he yawns and looks up at me.

"I actually need to head to the school. I left some papers and need to pick them up before they clean out my locker," I lie.

At this, all of them stop and give me their attention.

"Oh ill go with you," Caleb says, starting to stand.

I push him back on the sofa, "no, it's okay, ill be quick. It's just some papers."

I turn to leave, and Mason has somehow moved behind me, and I run right into him.
"There a reason you don't want us to come?" he says, staring at me inquisitively.

I feel a little guilty about lying, but I don't want any drama because of Spencer, so I lie, "no, I just want to go quick. It will be fine."

I lean up and kiss him quickly on the lips and step around him, hoping that was enough to distract him.
Then, snatching the keys from by the door, I head out to my SUV and jump in, and pull away before they insist on coming with me.

The whole drive to the school, I feel guilty for lying to them, we have really gotten close, and I have fallen in love with each of them, so lying to them makes me feel sick.
So right then I decide when I get back, I'm going to tell them the truth about everything, even my name.
I obviously don't need to be afraid of them, and maybe they can help me figure out my parent's death and that mysterious book.