Chapter Twenty-Seven: Evangeline White

My anger is simmering at its normal level after dealing with Nicholls and I know I have to go back to the clubhouse. They've probably been watching every move I've made for the last hour and I should be worried about if I've scared them or not but I can't find it in myself to care.

Gigo is a hard target to go after.

I don't even know why he wants Bear dead, I imagine it's something to do with taking over the territory so he can launch an attack on Iosif. They're both hard headed Russians and Gigo has been after Iosif's power ever since it was inherited. Gigo's father went after Iosif's father. It's been a long standing feud and I'm going to be dragged into it again.

Last time that happened Iosif put four bullets in my back and watched me walk away from him. I still remember that day clearly, the downside of having a photographic memory is that you remember every death, every face... it's downright heart breaking when you work in the jobs I chose.

I should pay a visit to Iosif, I should do a lot of things but instead I just spark up a cigarette and lean on the side of the car. I watch as an ambulance pulls up to take Nicholls to the hospital with no major injuries and let my mind drift off to what I'm going to do later. At this point I'm just going to have to warn Iosif because this is not taking anything away from Riley's wedding, Iosif will be able to do the start work and I'll finish it off once the celebrations are over.

I will end up getting involved in the rivalry, their fathers saw to that, and I'm not particularly bothered by it. So many of my friends died during that battle and I will make sure Gigo pays for that mistake. I've just gotta make sure that I'll make it out the other side. It just means more extensive planning and using whatever Iosif has got on hand.

I won't drag the Riders into Russian bullshit that should've ended when their fathers died. I might even try for peace between the hard headed idiots if it saves the bloodshed because I really can't be bothered for another war. I'm exhausted already and it hasn't even started.

I send a quick text to Iosif explaining everything and he knows not to call me, he will run with that information with his own tech team while I leave it alone for now. Once the ambulance is gone, I put the cigarette out and get in the car, heading to the clubhouse. I'll set up a meeting with Iosif for sometime next week because the last time I just walked in the fucker shot me four times and I'm really not in the mood to have lead dug out of my back for hours.

I'm sure they all have questions for me, Bear more than anyone, and I have no choice but to answer. It does include them after all, if only by a small amount. 

I pull up outside the clubhouse and Riley is outside already, glaring at me as I get out of the car. "Are you okay?" She asks me, hurrying over and checking me for injuries.

"I'm sure you already know the details, Riley." I reply slyly, knowing of Romeo's technical prowess and the capabilities of the cameras in both places I was in. Peyton hugs me and I stroke her hair back from her face with a soft smile. I follow both of them inside with a heavy sigh. 

"Who is Gigo?" Is Bear's first question. Mac hands me a glass of scotch that I accept with a grateful smile. He always knows what to do to keep me sane so he stays close enough for me to feel his warmth as I face down his Prez.

"He's a Russian. Wants to take over your territory and launch a full scale assault on Iosif. You're just a step in a large plan, it's been going on for about fifty years at this point. You needn't worry, Iosif and I will deal with it."

"He put a bounty on my head!" Bear stands up in outrage and I keep my face neutral, he doesn't need me riling him up more. 

"He took it off the minute he found out I was involved. He will not come after you again." I state firmly, knowing it's the only way to get through the paranoia in his head. He's been attacked so many times in his tenure as President so I understand his desperate need to know everything about everyone but this doesn't have anything to do with him anymore.

"And that guy?" He points at the picture of Nicholls and I give him a look.

"You saw our interaction, Bear, he is not a threat."

"You should've killed him."

"I made a promise, one that I won't break for something as stupid as a bounty."

"He could've gotten you killed!"

"My life, in the grand scheme of things, does not mean that much. The bounty didn't work, people don't come after me, I've made lucrative deals to prevent it. Stop worrying about things that will not affect us."

"You think your death wouldn't affect me? Eva, look around this room! If you died, I would lose Riley, Saviour, Mac and likely Lucia. Your death means a lot. Get that through your damn head." I fix him with a steady look.

"What are you asking of me?"

"Leave it alone, tell Iosif and let him handle it himself. He doesn't listen to your advice anyway, he shot you the last time you gave it to him."

"That is the plan for now but if I need to get involved, I will. I was there during the first battle, I will be there at the last."

"You would die for Iosif?"

"I would die for Cernna, Renna, Leon, Bren, Rio, Gin. I could go on and on, Bear. Those people mean something to me, you guys mean something to me. I thought I had made that clear in my efforts to protect you. I didn't just do it for Riley or Peyton or Lucia. I did it for you, for Lexie, for Mac. All of you and I will do it for Iosif as well, he has earned my loyalty just the same."

"What do you think is going to get you killed first? Your loyalty or your stubbornness?"

"Either way, it'll be a worthy death for the life I have lived."
---------
"If you ask me how I am, I think I might punch you." I tell Mac as he follows me out into the garden. I look up at the setting sun and watch as a beautiful mix of colours paint the sky. I don't get to see the nice things anymore, too busy to take a minute to slow down but I think I've earned it today.

I deserve the peace and quiet for once in my loud, chaotic life. Mac is my peace and quiet in this loud, chaotic world and I won't give him up for anything. 

"Did you mean what you said earlier?" I look over my shoulder and see him looking withdrawn, he looks scared and a little sad as he watches me, leaning against the wall like he can't support his own weight.

"I'm not going to die, Mac. I spoke to Bear in a way he'd understand, loyalty is everything to him just as it is to me. Everything will be fine." I reassure him, putting my hands on his chest as his come up to frame my face. I relax into him, feeling his warmth and relishing in it. 

"I didn't just mean that... you said my name in the midst of your rant." I think over everything I said and laugh softly.

"I suppose that's all you heard, huh?" He smiles at me, dropping down to kiss me.

"Please don't die on me."

"I'll make you the same promise I made my girls. I'll always come back to you."