Chapter Thirty: Mackenzie Grant

"She drank your coffee." Bear states as soon as Eva leaves. I don't realise his words, too enthralled with the newspaper in front of me until one of the little bastards yank it from my hands. I roll my head to look at him blankly, waiting for him to start with his usual interrogation. "You let yourself into her house. She rode on your bike. She drank your coffee."

"All three things that never happened with Dierdre." Gears points out, a cigar resting on his bottom lip like it normally is. I just tilt my head, I don't know what they want me to say to that. Eva and I's relationship isn't the relationship I had with Dierdre, I don't understand why they're comparing the two, they couldn't be more different. 

"I don't know what you want me to say." I reply, looking around the room and spotting the paper in Runner's hands. I'm not even surprised by that, he is the quickest in the room right now. 

"Well she obviously means a lot to you." Reign then prompts and I give him a look that just conveys how fucking obvious that is. I haven't hidden that from anyone from the minute she got here, not that I was able to, I wear my heart on my sleeve and I don't even care. Despite that though I have always been private, I don't like to talk about things because it just confuses me more and I like having my own thoughts that other people don't need to know. 

"Can you tell us about it?" Gears is the most curious, he knew the dynamic with Dierdre. He knew how bad she was, he even tried to warn me and I took his head off about it. I was always protecting her, getting in the way when someone would insult her and her behaviours but really I was just being blind. "What about Dierdre?" I put my finger up to stop him before heading off to my office to grab the shitty package off the floor and take it to Bear.

I drop it in his lap and retake my seat, watching as he undoes the wrapping and his eyes widen substantially. I was very protective over that cut too, I thought I would keep it forever to be honest. I thought I would love Dierdre forever but that was just the manipulation telling me that I couldn't let go. "Burn it." Is all I say, yanking my newspaper back as my words sink into the room.

No one in this room, except Reign, know the details of our break up but they saw how devastated I was when she left so the fact I'm so willing to give this up now shows how much I care for Eva. How much I'm willing to give her. "Well shit." Gears says softly, the others nodding along with him as I watch them over the paper.

"We're back!" Rubble cheers excitedly, heaving in a large duffel bag with Romeo and Eva talking about something behind him. "And we got the goods. Jeez, who knew cigars and perfume could be this heavy?"

"I did warn you, Rubble, but you flexed your arms and said 'I'm so hench'." Eva says with laugh, watching as Rubble continues to struggle with the bag. 

"I did not. We don't tell lies, Evangeline." Rubble scolds. 

"I can do as I please but that wasn't a lie. Oh, careful with those cigars, Gears, there's weed in them." She winks at him before disappearing into the pink room while Gears reaches for the bag at his feet. 

"Rubble, don't give him that bag. I don't need him high as a kite right now." At Bear's command, Rubble yanks the bag away and throws it to Breaker, who catches it easily. It doesn't seem to be as heavy as Rubble lets on though he is basically a noodle when compared to Breaker. 

I have a feeling this is going to be a long day.

----------

I have decided that I hate weddings. The flamboyance and the excessive spending just isn't my thing, I couldn't imagine everyone watching me do this. I don't even like talking about my relationships let alone pull shit like this. We've had to put on suits, which is annoying enough, and Lexie is the one that selected mine. 

It's navy blue, double breasted jacket with a white shirt and a red tie. I hate suits, they're tight and uncomfortable and I look like a douchebag. I pace around my room, trying to get used to the irritating feeling as Eva steps in looking stunning. She's put on her dress and it's black with a slit revealing her leg and deep in neckline. 

"Fuck." Is all I can formulate which makes Eva laugh. 

"Thank you, darling. Are you okay?" She walks over, fixing my tie and resting her hands on my chest.

"I hate suits." I mumble, messing with the sleeves that refuse to tie up with the links. She takes over that for me, her slender fingers making quick work of the silver as her eyes flick over me. 

"If it makes you feel better, love, you look very good in a suit." She brushes off my shoulders and smiles up at me, her eyes bright. 

"Thank you." I lean down to kiss her only for the intercom to buzz as Lexie summons us all to take our seats. Eva is walking Riley down the aisle so we part ways at the bottom of the stairs. I take my seat in the middle row next to Gears as he puffs on his new cigar. 

"This shit is good." His eyes are basically cross-eyed and if Lexie could see him now, she would murder him. I move to take it away but get nowhere as he just glares into my soul, warning me not to do it. I concede so a firefight doesn't happen during Boulder and Riley's wedding because I will definitely die that way.

I watch Eva for the entire ceremony - sue me, I hate weddings - and she cries. I want to comfort her but I'm nowhere near her, which I think Lexie did on purpose, so I just have to watch her cry from a distance. I know they're happy tears... for the most part, but she is giving away her baby so I imagine she's a little sad too. I was extremely pissed that I didn't get to be there when Reign got married but he talked me down and I begrudgingly accepted that it was best for all parties.

Now that I have attended three club weddings so far, I can tell you, I hate them just the same. 

Gears is dazed as he watches the smoke climb up, he's on his second laced one and he is having a jolly old time while I'm just waiting for the reception. Boulder and Riley walk passed us, now married, and I fight the urge to follow them to the club where we're having the reception. Unfortunately, before we get to go there the women have to have another outfit change.

Apparently, the dresses they're wearing are not made for dancing, nobody argued with them. I consider raiding our bar or stealing one of the cigars that Gears has been puffing on but I decide not to start yet or I will take it too far and pass out. I sit down in my chair as all of the men gather to wait for the women. Hopefully it won't take too long because they already have their hair and makeup done, it should just be an outfit change and then we're gone. 

Eva is the first out and she looks tired already, something that I will not say out loud at risk of death. "You okay?" I ask her softly as she looks down at me, leaning on the side of my chair. 

"Been awake for a long time, that's all." I give her a look that says 'I know that's not it' and she responds with a quiet whisper, "later." I agree, knowing not to push her, and we all wait for the rest of them to be done with whatever they're doing.