Chapter Thirty Three

Lin paced nervously in the hallway outside his wife's hospital room. He and Lia had ridden in the ambulance with her but they'd been stuck outside since they'd arrived. Lia sat on a chair, still in her gown, with a dazed look on her face. The adults were always the calm, reasonable ones. To see her father so worried, and her mother in pain, was earth shattering. Lia felt her phone buzzing but didn't bother to check it.

Lin had lost his suit jacket and his tie had been loosened. He was the very picture of a distraught husband or boyfriend. If something were to happen to V, he wouldn't be able to live with himself. He'd gotten her pregnant and if something went wrong, he would blame himself.

Finally, the door opened and the doctor stepped out, pulling down his mask. Lin immediately was in front of him, anxious for news.

"She's resting comfortably," the doctor assured the worried father. "The babies are fine."

Lin's shoulders finally untensed and he let out a breath of relief. Lia ran to him and they hugged as she sobbed into his chest. "Thank you, doctor."

"She went into early labor, which isn't uncommon with multiples," she explained further. "We were able to give her medication to stop the labor. However, we need to keep her on bed rest until she delivers."

Lin just looked at her for a moment, taking in the news. Vanessa on bed rest? He didn't think he could imagine a worse order from a doctor for Vanessa. She was a workaholic, not unlike him. Vanessa poured herself into her work and couldn't stand to be bored. Three months in bed?

Lia pulled away and looked at her father quizzically. "Is that even possible? She'll go insane."

Lin let his arm drape around his daughter. "Well, if it's for the babies' health, she'll do it," he told them both, which he knew was true. Though it would be horrible, Vanessa knew she'd put the twins' health first no matter what. She'd be attached to her laptop for sure, but she'd comply.

"Can we see her now?" Lia asked hopefully.

"Of course," she smiled. "She was asking for you both."

Lin and Lia entered the room, which was dimmed and cool. Vanessa was smiling softly from beneath her hospital blankets. She held out a hand and Lia rushed to her.

"Oh, Mom!" She couldn't hold the tears in. Lia collapsed onto her shoulder and cried in relief. Lin stood by her feet and watched gratefully. He gave her a wink as she hugged Lia appreciatively. "I was so scared."

"I'm sorry, baby," she told Lia. "I didn't mean to ruin your night."

"You didn't ruin it Mom," she assured her. "I just hated to see you in pain."

"I'm fine now," she told Lia. "The babies are fine. They were just getting a little impatient I guess."

Lin let out a small smile. They were their mother's children. He gently rubbed at her leg as Lia half-laid on her mother. He could tell she needed a break soon.

"Lia?" He said. "Why don't you go buy yourself a snack and get me a coffee. Want anything, V?"

"No thanks," she said as Lia pulled away. She gave her mom a kiss on the cheek as Lin handed her ten dollars. Lin sat down on the bed and linked her fingers with his.

"How you feeling?" He asked gently.

"Like a failure," she told him, getting a bit emotional again. Lin furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "My only job is to keep them safe. My body is fucking things up."

"It's definitely not your fault," Lin told her sympathetically. "These things happen, especially with multiples."

"I still feel like shit," she said, rubbing at her face with one hand. Lin rubbed his free hand over her belly.