Chapter Thirty Seven

Vanessa had to keep reminding herself of the two babies she was still housing in her belly to keep her nerves at bay. The irony that she had to remind me herself of the volleyball sized bump she was carrying on wasn't lost on her, but today wasn't a day of logic. She still couldn't believe the events that had transpired over that afternoon. The only thing to convince her she wasn't dreaming was the engagement ring she was rooting on her left hand. It was more beautiful than anything Vanessa could have dreamed of: a halo style accented with a Ruby and a Diamond, the birthstones of their children. She didn't find herself easily impressed, but damn Lin had done good.

After she said an immediate 'yes' and they were engulfed in congratulations from their family and friends, it didn't shock Vanessa that it didn't seem like the day would be ending anytime soon. Lin continued to impress by carrying on with the surprises, one of which included an engagement party already set up on the rooftop of their apartment building.

Everything was also starting to click for Lia. The center floor that already had people dancing on it. The decorations that were set up. The array of food, with Beatriz smiling wide behind them. This was what her dad had been planning and scheming about. And by the look on Hunter's face, it seemed like she and her mom had been the only ones clueless.

"You knew!" Lia exclaimed, pulling Hunter away from the crowd of people still fawning over her parents, "This entire time I've been driving myself insane, you knew?!"

"I...yeah." Hunter gave her cousin a sheepish grin, "I was sworn to secrecy!"

"¡Qué Cabrón!"  Lia playfully slapped her cousin as she exclaimed in a harsh whisper.

"How did I know that my kid would learn curse words before fluency?" Lin said as he came up behind the cousins, a wide grin on his face with a  feigned look of disapproval.

"Yeah, like you're one to talk!" Lia retorted, "You had my favorite person conspiring against me!"

Lin's look of shock sent Hunter into a roaring laugh and led to Lia rolling her eyes, " I thought I was your favorite person?"

"Hate to break it to you, dad, but that ship sailed back in December," Lia said in a mocking tone. She had to admit, when it came to parents she did have pretty cool ones. But, she was still fifteen and had standards to maintain.

"You're killing me, kid." Lin grinned, placing the solo cup he was holding down, "My fiance is involuntarily stuck to a chair the rest of the night. Come dance with me!"

"No way!" Lia shook her head adamantly, her wild brunette curls flying around. While she had inherited her mother's love for dancing, the introvert wasn't one to want the attention ever on her, especially with an audience of several Tony Award winners.

"Come on!" Hunter encouraged, with a hip bump, as she made her way out to dance. 

Lin managed to pull the begrudging teen onto the makeshift dance floor. The father-daughter pair salsaed hard to the music blaring, much to the delight of their guests. In spite of herself, Lia was having a blast, laughing carelessly as she was spun around. She could barely catch her breath!

When the music slowed down to a Michael Bublé song,  Lin and Lia swayed to the music.

"So, were you surprised?"

"What do you think?!" Lia said with a chuckle as she looked up at her dad.

"I could tell you were getting suspicious. What did you think I was planning?"

Lia was too embarrassed to admit that the fleeting thought of cheating had even crossed her mind for a second. She knew how much her parents were in love, and she should have never doubted that. She shook her head, "It doesn't matter. How long have you been planning it?"