Chapter Nineteen

Back in her bedroom, Lia was scrolling through her Twitter account. As she woke up she realized there may be postings on social media. Her mother didn't spend much time on Twitter but she didn't want to risk anything.

She saw herself tagged in a picture and immediately untagged it. She wasn't doing anything bad in the photo but it was evidence she was at a party she may have fibbed about. Lia was worried that the press might come across something of hers on social media and post it. The last thing Lin needed was his new daughter causing issues.

Sighing, she tucked her phone in her pocket and quietly opened her bedroom door. She padded down the hallway to the bathroom and noticed the apartment was rather quiet. Lia poked her head around the corner. What she saw startled her and made her so happy. Her mother and Lin were kissing on the couch.

It was gross to watch your parents make out, but she was thrilled they were interested in each other. She grinned widely and headed to the bathroom. Obviously they were trying to be secretive about it. Lia wouldn't let on but she was thrilled.

Lia spent most of the weekend sleeping and relaxing after her first party experience. The next week was Thanksgiving and she was glad to have a short week at school. She could really use a break from Hunter and the pressure.

On Sunday, Lin invited them both to the Miranda family Thanksgiving at his parents' house. His sister and her family would be there. Vanessa's parents were out of the country so she was glad to get the invite.

When Thursday rolled around, Vanessa was all nerves. What did his family think of her? They loved her when they'd dated before but they'd just found out that she'd kept Lia from them all for years. It was unforgivable. Family was very important to the Mirandas.

They brought a green bean casserole and some wine to share. If Vanessa was worried, she needn't have been. Luis and Luz welcomed her back with open arms. Lia was smothered with hugs and lots of questions. She met her four cousins and was instantly drawn to them. She'd never had cousins before. They were so fun!

Vanessa stayed close to Lin, afraid someone might corner her and demand answers. Lin was attentive, putting a hand on her lower back. His family suspected they were fast becoming more than just friends.

As the evening went on and Vanessa had more wine, she began to feel a bit more relaxed. It was warm for November, and she went on the porch with Lin's sister.

"So Lia's doing well at Hunter?" Luz asked Vanessa as they both sipped wine and enjoyed the skyline.

"She is," Vanessa said, "but she's a perfectionist like me. Wants straight A's. History has been hard for her but she's brought her grade up to a B-."

"I went to Stuyvesant and remember what an adjustment it was," she said. "I had anxiety badly. So did Lin but by that time he'd gotten better."

"Yeah Lia seems to get anxious too," she said. "I guess I don't completely get it because I've always been pretty calm. She just gets so worked up and I don't know how to help her."

Luz nodded in understanding. "You might have her talk to our mom," she said. "I know she helped Lin a lot with breathing exercises. She might be able to recommend a psychiatrist."

"Ughh, she'd never go for that," Vanessa said, knowing her kid. "She worries so much about what others think. And now with Lin being in the spotlight she's getting even more anxious."

The teenager they were speaking of was talking to her cousin Hunter, who was also in high school, though they lived out of the city. They were talking about Lia's first party and laughing.

"Everyone looked at me and I just froze," Lia laughed, recalling the free styling incident. "What came out of my mouth was just terrible."

Hunter laughed and seemed to sympathize. Word had gotten out that Lin was her uncle. He'd come to her brother's school to speak. It was annoying but she knew it must be worse for Lia. Especially since she was just thrown into all this.

"That sounds so embarrassing," she agreed. "I would've found a room and hidden.

"I basically left after that," Lia said. "Everyone thinks I must be so easy going and creative like Lin but I'm not really. I'm more like my mom."

"Are you mad at her for hiding you from your dad?"

"Yeah kind of," she shrugged. "But I'm over it mostly. No sense dwelling on the past."

Lin knocked and poked his head in. "Hey," he smiled. "We're about ready to go."

Lia nodded and stood. She and Lia exchanged phone numbers to keep in touch. Everyone hugged on the way out and seemed happy they'd all been able to get together.

Lin hailed a cab for them, taking the front seat. He told the driver to head for Vanessa's place.

"Are you staying the night again?" Lia asked, causing her parents to look at each other surprised, like a deer caught in headlights.

"Again?" Vanessa asked.

Lia nodded, looking out the window. "I saw Lin leave the other morning."

Vanessa bit her lip and her face flushed. Apparently they hadn't been careful enough.