Chapter Twenty Six

Emilia was curled up in a theatre seat at the Richard Rogers as she worked on her Algebra assignment. Coming to the theatre was becoming akin to whenever she would go to her mother's office after school, although admittedly Lin had the better venue. She had gotten used to the staff that worked there and was on a first name basis with most of the cast and crew.

She was working on Linear equations to the sounds of a production meeting going on on stage between Lin, Tommy Kail, and a few other executives that Lia had been introduced to prior. From what Lia could make out they were discussing the logistics of a second tour, but she wasn't that tuned in. Besides the fact that Lin had given her the, 'Anything said in this room is highly confidential' speech, she found the conversation to be similar to when her mom would go on about real estate law or equitable distribution: boring.

She was in the midst of trying to calculate a quadratic equation when suddenly her phone was taken out of her hand.

"Hey!" She said looking up to find Lin over her.

"You're still working on homework," Lin replied, coming around to the front of her.

"I was using it for a calculator!"

The look on Lin's face was one of disbelief as he slipped the phone into his jeans pocket, "You know when I was fourteen I didn't have a cell phone, much less one with a calculator?"

"Oh my god, is this turning into a, 'When I was your age' conversation?" Lia asked, setting aside her laptop and workbook.

"Yes, and your lisp is really helping your case for teen angst." Lin replied with a smirk.

Lia had gotten fitted for her invisalign earlier that week. She was elated to not have braces, but it was still an adjustment to get used to, one of which was a lisp as she got used to talking with plastic on her mouth. Lin found it hilarious and adorable, much to Lia's annoyance.

"Haha, very funny. Doesn't make that statement any less corny," Lia retorted, rolling her eyes, which gained a boisterous laugh from Lin. "So, is your meeting almost done?"

"Yep," he said. "Then I'll take you home to your mom."

"Can I come over this weekend?" She asked hopefully as she rushed to get to the end of her assignment.

"You can but I've got four shows," he reminded her. He was always gone pretty much all day Saturday since he had two shows. Between shows he holed up in the hotel across the street for a few hours to take a hot bath and a nap. It was his time to recharge.

Lia knew this very well which was one reason she wanted to come. She'd have the apartment to herself. Back in December, she and Ayden had officially become an item. They'd gone on a couple dates, including seeing Hamilton and meeting the cast. She was pretty sure that made her the best girlfriend ever.

"That's okay," she said, scribbling an answer. "I can catch up on sleep and Netflix."

"And maybe studying for your history test?" He added.

Lia rolled her eyes and grumbled. Lin had recently taken to becoming more parental. He didn't let her on her phone and he was on her about her school work. Her first semester hadn't been great. She'd gotten a C+ in history, two B's and three A's. It was her worst report card ever.

Lin grinned and kissed the top of her head before heading back to finish his meeting. About fifteen minutes later, he yelled for his daughter and she joined him, heavy backpack in hand. They both bundled up and headed out to the sidewalk.

After a couple subway changes they were back at Vanessa's. They came home to a more familiar sight - Vanessa in sweats curled up on the couch.

"You look terrible," Lia commented as she dropped her bookbag down and headed into the kitchen for a snack.