Chapter Fourteen

"But did you actually call him an asshole?"

Vanessa laughed as she sat back in her office chair, listening to Lin through her phone's speaker as he relayed the details of the conference he had just gotten out of with Mr. Martin.

"I almost did! But I figured it wouldn't be the most 'dad' thing to do,"

Vanessa couldn't stifle her laughter as she reviewed a motion she had just received in her inbox. A quick phone call, over a week ago, from Lin to ask about Lia's weekend schedule led to a new daily ritual between the co-parents. It was always around the time when Vanessa would be winding down on her work and before Lin had to head to the theatre. Over the past week, their conversations had mostly centered around Lia, but would also include pieces from both of their days.

"I went in there with an open mind as a former Hunter teacher. I explained that I understand the frustration around kids who slack off and don't work hard -"

"But you emphasized that that's not Lia, right?" Vanessa interrupted him.

"Of course," Lin emphasized as Vanessa could hear him getting into his car, "And that she's been going to the tutoring sessions and has had a lot going on lately -"

"But you didn't tell him what's been going on right? Because Lia would hate that," Vanessa chimed in, again.

"No, I didn't," She could practically picture the look on Lin's face, no doubt with a smirk, "So, we're talking and I told him that I didn't think it was appropriate for him to have Emilia berated at the front of the classroom -"

"And you framed it so that it didn't seem like Lia came home upset, right? Because he seems like the type of jerk who would use that against her and -"

"Vanessa," It was Lin's turn to interrupt, "I promise I didn't do anything to jeopardize our daughter's future at Hunter,"

Vanessa pursed her lips, fully aware that she hadn't quite let go of her single mom mindset, and leaned back into her chair, "Alright, continue,"

"I told him that I didn't think it was appropriate and that there are better ways to make a point about being prepared."

"And what did he say?"

"That if I was concerned about Emilia being chastised in class that I should spend more time making sure she prepares," Lin intimidated the ancient professor's voice, which gained a laugh from Vanessa as it reminded her of their daughter.

"I swear to God, V, it was as if I had been transported back to 1997 and was getting a detention slip from Mr. Atonal,"

"I liked him when I had him for AP Physics," She thought back on the past educator as she closed out of her work files on her desktop.

"Yeah, that's because you were always teacher's pet," Lin quipped.

"No, I just wasn't a smartass in class," Vanessa smirked as she gave into the easy banter. It brought her back to their days of dating. 

Lin laughed, "Fair enough."

"So, where did you leave things?"

"I told him Lia's understanding of the material was the top priority and thanked him for his time," Lin said simply.

Vanessa furrowed her eyebrows. She knew Lin well enough to know that wasn't the end of it. "And?"

"And I found one of my contacts at Hunter in my phone and have a meeting with the Principal tomorrow morning,"

She wasn't surprised in the slightest, "That sounds more like it."

"I should have asked you if you were available first, but I was so pissed when I was leaving. Not only as a past educator, but I've done way too much for that school to have my kid feel like shit in class because of an archaic teacher." Lin wasn't one to spout his success often, but wouldn't be above it if it was for their daughter.