Chapter Eighteen

Lia was feeling a little woozy as the bass began to boom in the apartment in Cobble Hill. She'd had two shots - her first taste of alcohol. It tasted disgusting but she liked how relaxed and social she felt. She was actually talking to people and not afraid of what they thought.

The apartment was getting stuffy however and she decided she needed some fresh air. She journeyed up to the roof of the building where some of the party had moved. It was chilly but the alcohol warmed her up. As she reached the top she took a moment to admire the view. The Brooklyn Bridge. Manhattan. And somewhere in Manhattan her father was busy performing as Alexander Hamilton, wowing the crowd. She'd heard more whispers throughout the night that she was Lin's kid. She had no interest in talking about it. She just wanted to fit in.

Lia noticed a group of kids off in the corner beat boxing and rapping. Not thinking, she walked over to listen. They were pretty good. They were rapping about snack chips and candy and other mindless subjects.

One of the girls who'd asked for a picture earlier was in the circle and noticed Lia. She kept beat boxing and pointed at her, signaling to take over next. Suddenly all eyes were on her and Lia realized she'd been put on the spot.

She froze for a moment, not seeing any way out that wouldn't make her a social pariah.

"Mmm, yea," she stalled. "Doritos. Doritos. Uhhh...potato chips. I like to buy them...at the store."

Laughs overtook the circle and they quickly ignored her. The girl from earlier laughed the hardest. Lia felt her face flush, even with the alcohol. They all knew she was Lin-Manuel Miranda's kid. They probably all expected her to be an amazing freestyler like her father. She'd seen videos of his time with Freestyle Love Supreme and he was amazing. Lia knew she was smart, but just not smart in that way. But everyone expected it.

Lia quickly disappeared from the roof and made her way back downstairs. She downed another shot, hoping to get bolder. A few minutes later, however, she felt nauseous again. The apartment smelled like weed. She felt the bile in her throat and managed to bolt for the bathroom just in time. She emptied her stomach of alcohol, retching over the seat. Lia felt awful and stupid. Why did she think she could handle a high school party?

She flushed the toilet then rinsed her mouth in the sink. Her lipstick was smeared and her mascara was running. Lia could barely recognize herself. The clothes weren't her. The makeup wasn't her. No matter what she did, she just couldn't make it work. People were trying to give her a chance now since she was Lin's daughter and she was just showing them what a loser she was. They all expected someone much cooler and she just couldn't pull it off.

Lia checked her phone. 10:30. She was due home in half an hour but she knew she couldn't go home like this. Her mom would figure it out and she'd be grounded for eternity.

Lin. Lin understood her and he was cool. She didn't have to worry about him getting mad and grounding her. They just had fun together.

He would still be performing but she could text him. She knew he could count on him. He'd let her stay with him that night.

Lia texted her mother that some of her friends were huge fans and really really wanted to meet Lin and could they catch a cab and she could stay with him that night. Vanessa thought it was odd because she didn't want anything to do with Lin's fame. She gave the okay as long as she continued to text.

Without waiting for Lin's answer she caught a cab and headed across the bridge into Manhattan. The theatre security knew her and let her in where she crashed in Lin's dressing room.

She must have been really out of it because the next thing she knew Lin was gently shaking her awake, still in costume. It was a bit of an odd moment, having Alexander Hamilton wake you up.