Chapter Ten

2001

Vanessa sat on the couch at her parents' house, still fully dressed up for a night out with her boyfriend, Lin. She checked her watch and saw it was now past 11:00. No calls. Nothing.

He'd been running a workshop at Wesleyan that afternoon for the musical he was working on, In the Heights. He'd shown her parts of it and she'd thought it was really good.

He'd promised her he'd make it back for their date last night. 7:00. Vanessa had guessed the workshop had gone really well and he'd ended up going off on a tangent, working a part with an actor, or just hanging out with his Wesleyan friends.

Vanessa was no idiot. She was a sophomore at MIT, home for fall break. It was a rare time for them to be together, but once again she was taking a back seat. Lin was making it clear what his priorities were and they certainly weren't her.

The door buzzed and she sighed, walking to the door. She buzzed her tardy boyfriend in, crossing her arms and leaning against the counter. Lin appeared 30 seconds later, looking sorry.

The door shut behind the 22 year old, his hair cut short and still a boyish look to him. He'd finally grown into his nose, much to his relief.

Lin ducked his head and shoved his hands in his jeans pockets. He'd fucked up. He'd honestly lost track of time. The workshop had gone amazingly well and he hadn't wanted it to end.

He chanced a glance at her. God, she was gorgeous. Even when she was angry, she was like a Latina goddess. She was dressed to the nines, ready for a night out.

"V, I-"

"Lost track of time?" She finished for him, her arms crossed. "Had a really great reading? Don't care about your commitments to your girlfriend?"

He sighed, knowing there was no excuse. "I'm sorry, V," he told her earnestly. "I'm trying here but-"

"You have to keep your priorities straight," she finished for him again, a habit he'd noticed when she was really pissed. "I waited four hours for you, Lin. I could've just stayed in Boston but I came back for you. And you couldn't care less. You'd rather dick off with your theatre friends."

"Hey!" He raised his voice, catching them both off guard. "You know, you could be a bit more supportive. I've been working on this for two years."

"Well, I'm sorry if I'm getting in your way,"
She told him flatly, reaching for her long earrings. She snatched them out and tossed them on the counter, then finally relieved herself of her high heels. She'd worn heels for him. "I'll get out of your hair so you won't have to choose anymore."

She began to storm off. "V-"

This hadn't gone well. He knew he was in the wrong and then he'd snapped at her. Lin could feel the best thing that had ever happened to him slipping away.

"You can see yourself out," she told him coldly. Vanessa turned out the hall light and he heard her bedroom door slam moments later.

Lin stood in the darkness, wondering if he could ever fix this.

He knew if he left it would lead to more harm than good. They had been together for over a year, and the tension had been building between them over the past two months as he was starting to build momentum with 'In The Heights'. It had been his dream for as long as he could remember back to be a playwright, and it was finally looking like it could be a dim possibility, even if it was just for his school. Being with Vanessa though... that mattered to him more than anything.

He slid his body down to the ground, resting his back against the doorframe. Neither of them were in the place to talk to the other. He closed his eyes and decided he would sit there until he could think of the perfect words to work his way out of the doghouse, no matter how long it would take.