Dear reader...

Hello, dear reader...

Welcome to this book and you can skip this chapter if you want to (as this is only an author's note) but some might find my little rant rather insightful.

First and foremost, I want to say, thanks for choosing to read this. Please, don't be a silent reader – vote and comment. Not only does it make my day, but it also helps a lot with staying motivated and whatnot. Besides comments are often even better than the story itself so please, darlings, don't be shy and speak your mind. (And I'm very grateful for any constructive criticism you might give or if you have any suggestions. If you have any ideas of what you might want to happen, be sure to leave them in the comments and if I like it, I might as well include it.)

This is a slow-burn and it is about Draco Malfoy BUT he isn't the main concern or event in the life of the MC (as no man should ever be to any girl. Heh.) That being said, the main girl has her own story and won't be the one to just blindly follow another group around.

The happenings in this story do follow the plot of the books and the movies but I'd like to believe it's from a different perspective. And since the heroine (MC) is not friends with the Trio, neither is she in their house, the girl won't be involving herself in the events the three go through, but she will hear about them as any other student in the school would.

The MC has her own life mysteries to unravel. First two years written, I believe, are more so scattered events than with an actual plot. More so to show the setting, reveal characters and develop relationships. But 4th year is where a more solid and logical plot starts and the girl's life really gets a move on. BUT that doesn't mean that the two years beforehand aren't important and don't have their own little hints and clues scattered throughout them that might help you predict or pinpoint what will happen later on in the story. Some of your questions might not get answered straight away but that doesn't mean that the thing you're questioning is random or forgotten. The answer just isn't revealed straight away (for one, Astrid isn't a Ravenclaw and if she doesn't know something, you ain't gonna know either).

As mentioned, this is a slow-burn going through all 7 years of her Hogwarts experience and I really hope you stick through to the very end because I assure you, it only gets better and more intense as she grows up. (Personally, I'm most excited for 6th year but I can't talk about that right now 🙃). So stick through it all. I guarantee you, it will be worth it.

And, yes, I will be writing in 3rd person instead of the 1st because I simply prefer that over the other. Not only does it allow space for being less repetitive with the pronouns and possessive adjectives, but it also allows to more seamlessly include other people thoughts and perspectives when needed (without the need to change the POV which to me has always appeared quite distracting). As well as generally I believe 3rd person allows the writer more ways of creative expression, but then again, it might just be my preference. I have seen people on other books complaining about the book being written in 3rd person but I have written too much to change that and frankly neither do I want to so please don't complain about it.

Neither is this an 'x reader' but you can imagine yourself as the heroine all you want. Although the direction this story is going to take, I don't think you would really want to be her  😈 😀
But the main reason why I don't make it an 'x reader' is because I really get annoyed by reading (y/n) over and over again when I never actually insert my name in the story. Those two letters simply are the character's name for me, lol. So welcome Astrid Ninomae. A girl with a name, a defined hair colour, eye colour, and everything else.

You might not like some of the characters straight away but I am a strong believer of character development and growth. Everyone changes over the years, like it or not. As well as they won't start being nice or change their lifelong beliefs just like that. Everything takes time. Though bear in mind, just like in real life, not everyone changes for the better and not everyone finds their right path straight away. We don't always make the right decisions or know all the right answers. We make mistakes and that's what makes us human. I don't know if I'm good enough of a writer to portray such changes but that's what I've tried doing and you, my dear reader, will be the judge of that.

And now, with all that being said, welcome to 'They Were Just Kids'.

//The boy who had no choice and the girl who made all the wrong ones//

Enjoy  🖤