Year 3 - 34

It was finally the day. The day Astrid had been dreading most that year. 

It was a day lovers exchanged gifts, teens snogged shamelessly in the hallways, and owls handled out letters from secret admirers. A day many cliche relationships started and whispered giggly conversations were the norm even during classes. One glance at him must mean she was in love. Ouf, this other bloke looked at her, perhaps he was the one to give her that box of chocolates. It was the day the forbidden love potion got used the most.

Or in simpler words - Valentine's day.

Astrid didn't despise the day. She had to admit, it was quite entertaining. But she had never been a fan of overexaggerated showcase of affection or any emotion really. Although the girl considered that getting a real gift from somebody would've been nice. Of course, she didn't need to get a gift from some guy who might fancy her for her to feel content with herself but... it still would've been nice.

Any person who would say that receiving gifts isn't nice is a liar.

Daphne definitely enjoyed receiving gifts. One could easily tell upon seeing her eyes light up once she saw the small pile of gifts stacked onto the breakfast table where she usually sat. The gifts were mostly very simple, a small note, a chocolate box, or from some bolder blokes - a bit of jewellery. And whatever it was, the girl unwrapped it smiling brightly, read the notes, and bragged about them to her classmates around her. Whatever it was that she opened, Daphne considered it to be the best gift ever. You could gift the girl a rock with the smallest of hearts painted on it and she would consider it a masterpiece. 

Astrid always wondered how it could be so, considering she had been brought up in a rich high-class family, having been spoiled rotten. Daphne was all about living fancy, being rich and glamourous. She never bought anything less than the finest quality for herself. But then when it came to gifts - whatever she received was brilliant. 

Though sitting there by the breakfast table and watching the girl's reactions, Astrid thought that maybe it was all part of Daphne's manipulative act. It would surely bring a guy great satisfaction upon seeing the blonde get so excited for receiving the gift he had given her.

Blaise, who as always sat next to Daphne, was unusually quiet. As Daphne gushed and gasped about her presents and letters, Balise sat unmovingly and blankly staring at the food in front of him.

One who had never seen Zabini on Valentine's day would've considered that behaviour normal. Astrid knew it wasn't.

The girl sat on the other side of Daphne her blood filled with anxiety. Her gift was tucked in the pocket of her robes and she was nervous to present it. She knew it was splendid. Obviously. And she had practised her presentation for many many times while showering. But she was still a little nervous. 

Astrid looked up at the people around her. 

Theodore was rubbing his cheek where Rosier had slapped him when he had tried to give her his Valentine's day gift. The ebony girl kept wondering when Nott would finally get the hint, while the persistent boy wondered when she would finally give him a chance.

Crabbe and Goyle were shoving food down their throats a bit of sauce smeared at the corners of their lips. 

Tracey was looking around the Great Hall lost in thought. 

Malfoy was eating his breakfast lost in thought as well and Astrid wondered if maybe everyone had already forgotten about the whole competition and they just wouldn't do it all. Though, she wouldn't have wanted that. She had put too much effort into the gift for it to be simply thrown away.

Pansy was, as usual, ogling at the platinum-blonde, while Millicent who sat next to her was boredly, with the help of magic, swirling the water in her goblet.