chapter sixteen

Spencer has been walking with a pep in his step ever since he admitted his feelings to Delilah and to himself. Opening up is one hell of a risk, like jumping off a cliff with no safety net. There's absolutely nothing to stop the fall from going too far, nothing but your own willpower of self protecting. Spencer has gotten pretty good at that in his life time.

But this one would be different. Hopefully. She was everything he wanted. Yes, his past was rocky... more like rocks with shards of glass poking out at you and you can't escape from getting your feet cut, but he wanted this. He wanted her. Finally, for the first time in a long time, he wanted someone who was right. Maeve would want this, he reminds himself. She would want me to be happy again.

And he is happy again. Delilah is smart, passionate, kind, funny, easy to talk to, and caring. She listens to him when he rambles on about random topics that live in his magnificent brain. And, she would never let him do something he wasn't comfortable with. He finds it hard to talk about emotions and do things that reflect his emotions, but she won't push him. She knows his past; she knows about Maeve, and Cat, and everyone else. It doesn't bother her. She just wants to make sure he knows he's safe and that he's comfortable.

Spencer smiles, making his drive to the FBI headquarters in Quantico, Virginia. He used to take the metro, but driving alone and getting to think and think out loud without strangers giving him dirty looks or trying to mug him was nice.

As he steps out of the elevator, Spencer gets greeted with the sight of his boss and very close friend, Emily Prentiss. She's filling up a mug with coffee in the corner of the bullpen.

"Goodmorning Dr Chirpy," she says with a smile.

Everyone's been noticing Spencer's new aura of cheerfulness, and they're definitely suspecting a girl is involved. He'll tell them who she is eventually, but it's fun for him to see them itch with anticipation and wonder.

Eventually, everyone else arrives at work, and the team spills into the briefing room to start the new case.

_____
"Hey, Jenna!"

"Yes?"

"Can you take these stacks upstairs to Sophie in room 13?" Delilah stands up, papers in hand. She meets Jenna at the doorway of her office and handed them to her.

"Yeah, sure thing!" Jenna takes them from her with a smile.

Delilah paused, making sure she wasn't imagining things. "Is that my perfume?" She sniffs.

"Oh um," Jenna furrows her eyebrows in embarrassment. "I'm so sorry. It just smelled really good, and I forgot to use some this morning..."

"It's okay. Just ask, and you can use it anytime."

Jenna relaxes her stance, "Okay." With that, she leaves to do as she was asked.

Delilah sat back in her desk chair, getting back to work. Spencer is away in Washington state at the moment. He had texted her from the jet, letting her know he wouldn't be able to see her for a while. She didn't like it when Spencer left, not because she wanted him with her at all times like a clingy girl, but because she couldn't make sure he was safe when he was miles and miles away.

Delilah knew that she would have to get used to him leaving every week. Which she was almost fine with, because the times they did spend together were perfect because they were together.

_____
"Miss Reign?" Jenna knocks at Delilah's half open office door, dressed in a grey pencil skirt and a purple blouse.

"Please, Delilah," she smiles at her assistant.