chapter forty-five

The sky, now level with you, blows past you. Fluffy white clouds fly behind you.

In six hours you'll be back in Los Angeles.

No one knows today is when you're coming home. You wanted to surprise your friends, then Matthew in Vegas. It's been too long since you've seen them.

You haven't spoken to Matthew on the phone in 8 days, having both been busy. It's hard to make time for each other when you're not on the same time. You talked to him this morning, well 7pm for him. Your flight left at 4:30, so you woke up at 3am. Not that you really got much rest, having fallen asleep at 1.

You'd trudged your way to the airport in a cab, and waited to board the plane.

Now, you've been on the plane for 5 hours. It's 9:30am for your body and mind right now, but as you fly across the ocean, you're not sure what time it is below you.

It will be 3:30pm London time when you touch down in Los Angeles, and 7:30am there. By the time you get ready and head to Vegas, Matthew should be fully awake.

You smile softly to yourself at the thought of seeing him in person for the first time in months.

You were able to get a little bit of sleep on the rest of the flight, enough to get you through it, but not enough to really energize your body.

Sweet Los Angeles air hits your face as you step out of the airport. It's been over four months since you've stepped foot here. The warm July morning greets your sleepy face. You get an Uber and make your way to your apartment, which has been kept up nicely by your amazing best friend Jess.

Jess, you smile. You change clothes, not bothering to unpack yet, and head out of your door. It's nice to have your car again. It's nice to be able to dress in less amounts of clothing. You change into a comfortable blue dress.

You make the familiar, missed, drive to Dunkin, where you're hoping Jess is still working at this time.
To your luck, she is.

"Oh my God, Y/n!!!" She immediately runs out form behind the counter and wraps her arms around you.

"I missed you so much!"

"I missed YOU so much," she beams. "How was London? Tell me everything!"

"London was great, but you know 90% of it, Jess." you laugh softly. "I definitely missed LA."

"LA missed you."

"Oh yeah? Did you ask a palm tree?"

"Sure did," she smiles. "I didn't know you were coming home today."

"Nobody did. Except my family."

"Well this is a great surprise."

"Thanks," you smile. "I wasn't sure if you'd be working today."

"It's my last day actually."

"Really?"

"Yep, I start my big girl job next week."

"That's amazing, J!" You say excitedly. "I'm so happy for you."

"Thank you! Now coffee?"

"Yes please."

She whips up your usual order and hands it to you. "Mm I missed American coffee."

"Too much tea in London?"

You laugh softly and pay her, but she insists it's on the house.

The two of you sit a while until you hop up. "I'm going to head to Matthew's."