Chapter Eighteen - Xavier POV - Impeccable Timing

I watched as she packed her suitcase. I could tell something was on her mind. It wasn’t like her to pack and then repack. Scarlett was a ‘throw everything in once, sit on it to close it and wheel it away’ kind of girl.

Finally after an exasperated sigh she flopped on the bed beside me and looked out the window.

“You don’t think someone actually wants to kill me do you?” She spoke flippantly, like it meant little, like it wasn’t eating her up inside, but I could tell it was. I went to shake my head, I went to white lie, because telling her the truth was going to hurt. But lying had already almost cost me the one thing I couldn’t handle losing every again, her. Lying had made her run and I couldn’t do it again.

“Scarlett, I think a very sick person out there wants to hurt you... yes.” I replied as I sat down beside her. “But if you stick with us, me and the bodyguard and any other security, I’m sure you’ll be fine.”

“Like a caged bird.” She whispered.

“Only until this is all sorted, and I promise, I won’t let you feel caged.”

She leaned in to me, my arms enveloped her and she let out a wilted sigh. I could feel the tears fall from her beautiful eyes onto my shirt and it killed me that I couldn’t fix this for her.

Not yet, I needed more proof.

The police had found little evidence, whoever was sending the disgusting letters had successfully evaded discovery thus far. Eventually something had to give, someone had to slip up, and I would be there waiting.

I’d kept my theory quiet, from everyone. Fearing Ben would run if the spotlight was suddenly on him.  

I found it suspicious that Ben was always around when the letters came. In fact his impeccable timing was almost bordering on ridiculous.

He’d attempted to kiss me to stir up trouble, but then those damn pictures or Arabelle had come out and done the work for him. She ran to him.

The only thing I didn’t have was a motive. I was almost sure Ben was behind all of this bullshit, but I only had circumstantial evidence to back it up.

“Xavier…” Scarlett said softly, breaking me from my thoughts. “Are you okay?”

I relaxed, suddenly aware of how tense I’d become. “I’m more than okay babe. I have you back.” I kissed the top of her head. “And I intend on keeping it that way.”

I looked over at the half packed suitcase and pointed to the prom dress that was hanging over her desk chair. “Can we take the prom dress?”

It was enough to make her laugh, she stood up and walked to her case. “I’m not sure why I am so worried. I could pack a case full of sweat pants and ripped shirts and it wouldn’t matter. DJ will have someone dressing me.”

I put my hand up instantly. “Can I have that job?”

Scarlett threw a pair of socks at my head and let out a loud laugh. “You’re hilarious.” She walked back past me in an attempt to get back to her wardrobe, but I grabbed her by the waist and pulled her back to the bed.

We fooled around laughing like teenagers for a while, forgetting that there was a world outside the bedroom door darker and harsher than the one we had when we were together. Before Scarlett tore herself from me once again she smiled widely, until it reached her eyes.

Seeing her smile made me filled me with something unexplainable. 24 hours beforehand I’d thought I had lost her. I’d thought that my inability to tell her something so important had ruined us. Truth was, I’d tried to tell her once, and was relieved when she stopped me. I probably would have found all the excuses in the world to avoid it.