Chapter Twenty One - A Boring Old Field.

I watched as Xavier stalked out of the room. My appetite had disappeared so I placed the half eaten food down and looked at DJ. “He’ll be okay right?”

“Yeah. You know Xavier. He’s broody and likes to sulk.” DJ smiled, he pat me on the back and stood up. “In saying that.  Should anything happen, any more letters, you need to let someone know right away okay?”

I nodded, and looked down at my phone. My finger hovered over Xavier’s name, but instead of calling I scrolled back up to Isla’s name. He said he needed to cool off, I was going to let him.

The phone rang a couple of times before she picked up. “Hello Stranger, I was beginning to think you were never going to call me!” she exclaimed. There was no animosity in her voice, but it didn’t stop the guilt.

 “I’m sorry. I’m busy all the time, and that’s mostly due to my own inability to stay still. It’s no excuse for being a bad friend.” I replied, frowning.

“Xavier lit that fuse huh, well I’m glad for what it is worth, and you’re not a bad friend” She replied. “You’ve been more alive in the last 10 or so months than you’ve ever been, and it’s not just because of a guy… It’s because you finally learned how to have a life.”

“You helped me too.” I laughed. “And I suppose I can give a little credit to the tequila…”

Isla let out a hearty laugh. I found myself smiling.

“I miss you.” She said as her laugh dissipated to a sigh.

“I miss you too. How’s that baby in your belly.” The mere mention of her baby brought her spirits back up to normal Isla level.

“Good.” she enthused “We found out were having a girl.” I smiled and bit my tongue to hold back my own news. Sharing it would have to wait until we were home.

“That’s amazing. You guys are going to be great parents.”

“Thanks, So will you and Xavier, you know when the times right.” She replied.

We spoke for about 20 minutes before I was called back in to rehearsal. We wrapped at 6:30pm and I rode back to the hotel with Hans afterward. Exhaustion had begun to wash over me, but it was nothing a long soak in the tub couldn’t fix.

“Do you want me to scope the room before you head in?” He asked as we walked toward the hotel room. I looked up at the big burly man who looked as though he was on the verge of passing out. He ran his right hand through his dark bristly beard and held back a yawn.

“No, Xavier should be back by now, I’ll call out if I need anything.” I smiled patting him on the back.

“Are you sure?” Hans gave in to his yawn, but tried to hide it with a cough.

“Hans, you’ve been awake for 48 hours solid. You need to sleep. I promise I’ll be fine.”

Hans nodded and walked to his door. I watched him as he slid his key card in the lock. He looked back over at me and smile sleepily. “Call me if you need anything.”

“Anything.” I replied with a smile.

I unlocked my own door and walked inside. The room was silent, Xavier wasn’t home, in fact the room looked pristine. Maintenance would have come around 11am which meant Xavier hadn’t been back since he’d seen me.

A pit of fear buried in my stomach began to expand. I pulled my phone from my pocket and called Xavier.

The phone rung once and then connected. Thank god.