Chapter Seven - Don't Forget the Cheetos

I walked out the back door of the Entertainment Live studio and into a waiting car. “You did well” Ben exclaimed taking a long deep relieved sigh. “But goddamit, I am so glad today is over.”

“Bring on the pizza, and beer and some trashy movie please” I agreed, letting my head loll about on the headrest.

“I’m there.

“You believe me right” I mumbled opening my eyes. “The girl in the video isn’t me.”

Ben nodded and shrugged. “I’ve kind of heard about it before. Like I said. DJ briefs us.”

I frowned. “So you probably know until 6 months ago I lived alone with my four cats.”

Ben laughed and shook his head. “No I didn’t know that.” He pushed my knee. “You weren’t kidding about the Jacuzzi and wine thing were you?”

“Nope… I was well on the way to becoming a cat lady. Then Xavier came home, and changed everything.”

Ben sat forward and looked at me. “Well you can’t start the story and then not finish it Scarlett.”

“We grew up together, and we didn’t get along, well during high school anyway. He disappeared for college, and I stayed within five minutes of my parents. I liked this band, Going Nowhere, you might know them”

Ben laughed and nodded.

“Well, the lead singer… Vax, he was my idea of hot. I dreamed about the guy.”

“Wait… you didn’t know who he was?”

“None of us did. When he returned home everyone, especially me, was a little shell-shocked.”

“Dreams come true.”

“Well, it took a while to get to where we are, but yeah… I guess so.”

Ben sighed and looked out the window. “I hope one day I’m that lucky.”

“I’m sure you will be.”

We pulled back into the hotel sometime later. “You peruse Netflix, I’ll call room service okay?”

Ben exclaimed as we walked through the lobby.

“Sounds like a plan. But I need Cheetos. Don’t forget the Cheetos.”

Ben laughed and pressed the elevator button. The doors opened and we stepped inside. On the ride up we shared the elevator with a woman, around my age maybe a little older. I could feel her eyes on me, judging me.

“Is there something that’s bothering you?” I said finally.

She shrugged. “Well I mean, you say you’re engaged, but you’re taking him to your hotel room.”

My eyes narrowed. Had my interview really spread that far? Was my outreach that extensive that some random girl in an elevator knew who I was?

“He’s my tour manager.” I replied with a smile.

“Oh, god. Sorry.” She choked back. “It’s none of my business.” The girl looked like she might die from embarrassment. He face was as red as a tomato.

“No…” I agreed. “But it’s okay.”

The door pinged open and the girl jumped out. “Have a nice night” I called as the door began closing.

Ben burst into laughter the minute we were alone. He was laughing so hard he could barely breathe.

“Did you see her face…?” He managed to splutter out. “She turned so red… Oh god. Scarlett.”