Chapter Two - Famous Last Words

Isla ambushed me the minute I walked back through the door. She pulled me into a hug. “You're leaving the Going Nowhere tour” She murmured sadly.

“Yes, sorry. I know I should have said something, but I was kind of pretending it wasn't happening”

Isla pulled back and smiled, but her eyes were sullen. “I understand, I'm going to miss you is all.”

I willed the tears that were threatening to surface away. It was Christmas and I wasn't going to cry in front of everyone. “I'm going to miss you too. But we'll both have breaks, and I'll be visit Xavier or vice versa. We'll see each other”

“Pinky promise?”

“What are we? 6?”

“Just humor me”

I held up my pinky and connected it with hers.

 Once I'd explained everything to my parents, and the rest of the patchwork family Christmas day continued. For 24 hours we all pretended that I wasn't leaving the Going Nowhere tour in three weeks. 

The thing about pretending is, it's only a matter of time before the facade ends, before something or someone comes along and reveals the cracks.

For me, it came in the form of my replacement. She revealed every insecurity I never knew I had. She was everything I'm not. Tall, blond, perfect body, and a face so beautiful I couldn't help back gaze at her in wonder.

“I thought we'd bring her along, you guys have your Auckland concert in a couple of days, and I thought we could let her watch how it works from the side of stage.”

I frowned. I knew I was jealous, and I knew it was unreasonable. Xavier loved me. But it didn't stop the green eyed monster from raging.

“Arabelle” She murmured, shoving her hand out in front of Xavier first. She batted her eyelids at him. “I'm a big fan by the way, I saw your first concert in New york a few years back. You're fiery passion was what drove me to make music.”

Xavier smiled and put his hand in hers. “That's great” He replied. “Uh, this is my fiance Scarlett and these are the rest of the guys, Jay, Doc, Cris and Jace.”

Arabelle gazed over the other guys then finally her eyes settled on me. She was still shaking Xaviers hand, and it had gone about 10 seconds longer than normal. She scowled and pulled her hand from Xaviers finally.

“Fiance?” she replied. “What a lucky girl.”

I looked at Xavier who was grinning. I could almost see his ego inflating before me.

“Excuse me. I need to go check my gag reflex” I replied monotonously.

I heard Jace laugh from behind me as I walked from the room. I knew it was him because we'd used that line for years. It was the thing we said when someone was clearly ass kissing.

I, for one wasn't going to stick around and listen to it.

I escaped to the bedroom. It was sunny out, and the beach was inviting me for a swim. I pulled on my swimsuit then left the room through the balcony door.

Strictly speaking, leaving the hotel without adequate support was a no no. But with Arabelle around, no one was going to take any notice of my absence.

I walked across the road and let the golden sand move between my feet. The summery heat bounced off my skin and warmed me up. I walked until my feet touched the hard wet sand and waited for the inevitable rush of salty sea water.