Chapter Twenty Seven - Still Got Forever.

I could hear talking long before I could talk myself. I could hear Mom and Dad, Toni and Jace. They were around me the voice came from different directions. My eyes were too heavy to open, they ached, in fact there wasn’t a part of me that didn’t ache.

“Babe. You can wake up now, you can come back to us okay.” Xavier’s voice said softly. Oh yes, he was with me. He hadn’t left me. Still I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t wake up.

I fell in and out of consciousness, each time the blackness shrouding my mind faded a little more. Each time I could feel a little more. My throat was dry and painful, my chest felt heavy and tired and my hand pinched. I opened my eyes, I focused on the ceiling and smiled. I turned my head, Xavier was squeezing my hand.

“You trying to break my hand Xavier Smith?” I forced myself to speak, the words felt like sandpaper in my mouth, scratchy and uncomfortable. But Xavier was worth it.

He looked up, his eyes locked with mine. He was crying. He lifted his hand to my face and his touch was exquisite. I lifted my arm though tired and heavy until my hand did the same thing.

“What happened?” I whispered. The last thing I remembered was Xavier’s hazel eyes in the ambulance. He had looked so scared, now he looked relieved.

“You lived.” He whispered, his face changed he looked sad. I’d been close to dying. The baby! I’d gone in to labor I pulled my hand from Xavier’s hand and face and rest them over my flat stomach. My heart ached.

“Our baby? Xavier... Please... tell me.” I croaked, tell me the baby is okay. Please.

Xavier smiled and pulled something over. When my eyes focused I realized it was a crib. Inside it was a little baby, tiny and fragile. The baby that had been growing inside of me. There was a blue sticker on the side. It said “He’s a boy!” in gold letters, He was okay.

I wanted to hold him, to love him and be is Mom, but everything felt weak and tired. “He’s ours?”

“Yes.”

After the doctor had been in I realized how close to dying I had come. My condition had been caused by the placenta detaching when I started the premature labor which caused amniotic fluid to enter my bloodstream. I’d lost so much blood that they didn’t think they could bring me back, but they did. My poor Xavier had watched me lose consciousness, he’d watched me almost die, on our wedding day no less. We hadn’t signed the papers yet, technically we weren’t even legally married.

“What are you thinking about babe?” Xavier whispered softly, brushing the hair off my face. “You look so full of worry.”

“I ruined our wedding day.” I huffed. “I was looking forward to the reception, to our first dance. I know it’s stupid but I just… I…” I stopped and tears ran down my cheeks. I’d just wanted something for us. Something untouched by drama.

“I know baby.” Xavier murmured kissing my forehead. “But we’ve still got forever.”

I sniffed and nodded he was right, of course.

“When is everyone else coming back?”

“Around 3pm.”

“Okay.”

I looked over at our son, desperate to hold him. The obstetrician would be visiting soon, she’d promised we could today. After everything it had taken to get him here I need to kiss his forehead just to accept he was real.

“He needs a name.” Xavier whispered. “I’ve been thinking about this while you were recovering.”

“You have?” I smiled, Of course he had. Xavier was always thinking.