Chapter Two

Now they sounded like opera singing chipmunks on helium. They started to fall off the side of the cliff, and roll towards a small forest in a valley.

Sometime Later

Sophia woke up with bruises and bits of glass impaling her skin on her face and arms. There was a small stream of blood flowing down her landing pad forehead. Overall she wasn't hurt terribly, especially considering she rolled down a cliff thing. She groaned and grabbed her head.

"Am I supposed to say ow? What do I do in this situation Man..." Mandy wasn't in the car. Sophia's seatbelt was what saved her... Mandy wasn't wearing her seatbelt. And now she was nowhere to be seen. Just a shattered windshield and blood. Too much blood.

"No... no this- I. No. I won't accept it." A tear trickled down Sophia's cheek. "She's everything I have..."

She somehow squeezed herself through the misshapen window frame and stands outside. "Mandy! Mandy? Please answer me..."

Just then a giggle erupts from the otherwise eerily quiet forest. Sophia flinches and looks over her left shoulder. Mandy was unharmed and rolling around on the ground laughing.

"You should have seen your face! Hahaha!" Mandy cackles. Sophia bit her lip, to try to conceal her tears. "You're everything I have!" Mandy mimics Sophia.

Sophia runs over to Mandy and collapses next to her.

"I-I thought you were..." She couldn't bring herself to finish that sentence.

"Nope I'm still here." Mandy spread her hands apart as if she were forming a word in the air. "Death by Buffalo. Haha add that to my list."

The two used the next few minutes cracking jokes, using humor to cope with their traumatic situation. After a while they stopped laughing and started processing the seriousness of their predicament.

"You know one of us could have gotten seriously hurt." Sophia walked over to Mandy and offered a hand to pull her up off the ground.

"Yeah, I guess we're just lucky." Mandy reaches for Sophia's hand. As she grabbed Sophia's hand their hands fazed through one anothers.

In a normal situation with a normal group of friends, they would be freaking out. Not the case here. No, instead they spent several minutes petting each other's hands. Their expression grew more astonished every time they failed.

"So I hate to break it to you but I think you're dead Sophia..." Mandy concluded after their intense hand petting session. (That makes me uncomfortable ahaha)

"What? I mean don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind in the slightest." Sophia looked at Mandy's face and frowned. "But I find it very unlikely that you made it all the way down the cliff not wearing a seatbelt, and come out without a single scratch."

That was the realization Mandy needed. She was indeed dead. They both sat in silence.

As I said before, that was the day Mandy died. Death by buffalo.

The day Mandy died was also the day Sophia discovered her quirk. She has the ability to communicate with the dead. She also has the ability to use the quirk of a nearby or linked spirit.

In this case Mandy is a linked spirit. She can also use the quirks of other spirits as well, but they aren't a constant resource like Mandy. Which is why Mandy is considered a linked spirit. Mandy's death hit Sophia really hard, and for a while she thought she was crazy and didn't tell anyone about Mandy or her quirk.