XIV. Brooke's Turning Point

Stepping inside the room, Bianca sends Abby a quick smile before joining the other girls in line. She waited patiently for Abby to begin talking.

"Let's have a big round of applause. I think we made applesauce, don't you?" Abby congratulates them.

Bianca's clap was among the loudest in the room. I still can't believe we beat a bunch of fourteen, fifteen, sixteen-year-olds with that routine.

"Now the group won. They won the overall. But you know what? That was one competition. For this week, we are going to Starbound in New Jersey. When we walk in, you need to be those national champions. Alright. On the bottom... Nia. Simply because of the mistake in the choreography and that dance is easy. It's simple. Next, we have Kendall. You need to learn to read music, and you need to learn to hear music."

Abby glances over at Jill. "I'm gonna keep her on probation. Until I hand her that jacket, she's still proving herself. Paige. I've seen you do the press better. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt; I thought you did an excellent job. Next, Mackenzie, this week, you are not in the group. You are going to do a solo. All right? Good girl.

"Sabrina, Bianca, and Elsa. I liked the three of you in the group. I think the blonde hair, green eyes really fit the era. But you can't throw tantrums when things don't go your way. You never know who's around."

"Yes, ma'am," Bianca responds with her sisters. She was a little bratty about Cathy last Sunday, so she could accept the reprimand with good grace. Besides, we're still on the second row, so Abby must not be that mad.

"Next, I have Maddie. I want you to stop resting on your laurels; I want you to keep improving for the next twenty years. Not for one competition. Do you understand?"

"Mm-hmm," Maddie nods.

"So you impress them. I want you to impress me. Okay, next... I have Chloe. Chloe, you didn't do a solo last week, and you didn't have a duet. You were great in the group. People recognize you from the video, but I want them to recognize you for your dancing. Understood?" Chloe nods.

"And on top of the pyramid this week..." Abby reaches for the headshot on top. "Brooke. You went out there; you proved yourself. I mean, you went from worst to best in one week. You're the oldest person in this group, you need to be the role, and that needs to continue."

Abby points at Mackenzie's headshot. "Mackenzie, you're doing a routine called 'My Parade.' And it's all about you, kiddo. You're gonna march out from that corner like you are the leader of the big parade. Sabrina, you're solo this week is an acro lyrical routine titled 'Circus Girl.' Elsa, you will be doing a lyrical solo to 'Motion of Love.' And Bianca, your lyrical solo this week is 'See the Good.' Maddie, this week you're going to be doing a jazz routine to 'Lights, Camera, Action.' Chloe, you're going to be doing a lyrical routine to 'Don't Catch Me.'"

Bianca chuckles as Chloe does a small fist pump.

"Chloe's so happy she's having a lyrical solo," Maddie remarks.

"Now, the group dance, everybody's in it except for Mackenzie, it's entitled 'Born to Dance,' and it's about a child being born, there's a little mystery to it. Brooke, you're going to be featured in this number; you should be the glue that's holding it together. But we have three eleven-year-olds and a nine-year-old doing your job. You need to be the most advanced in the group, not looking around to see what these five are doing. Understood?" Brooke nods. "Brooke, don't let me down. Mom's, please go. Girls, stretch out. Let's go."

They spent half an hour on warmups before Abby began choreographing the routine. Since Brooke was the lead, she started with her while the rest of the girls sat at the side.