IV. Stealing the Show

"Let's talk about Starbound competition. Can we have a round of applause?"

"Whoo-hoo!" Elsa cheers along with the rest of the girls.

"Okay," Abby continues. "So, Brooke blew them away. The people behind me were in awe when you did that handstand twist. Yes?"

I probably wouldn't go to Abby if I were hurt either, Elsa thought as Brooke nods. She would go to her Mom, who would take her to the hospital.

"I wanna talk about this week's competition," Abby turns the blackboard around. "Do you see there's somebody new on top? Yes, Brooke, you are here because of your performance; you worked through an injury, you did what you had to do, you were a team play. You are getting a solo this week. Sabrina, Elsa, Bianca, Chloe, Maddie, you are also getting solos this weekend. The bottom row, what am I supposed to do with you four? You need to step it up. You need to get your butts back into class and start working on your technique. And you know what? Since we're in Pittsburgh this weekend, I'm gonna give every single one of you a solo."

Even as she cheers with the rest of the girls, Elsa could feel the nerves set in. It's hard enough going against her sisters, Maddie and Chloe, but now she's going against the whole team except for Mackenzie, Brooke, and Vivi-anne. Yay.

Abby glances over at the Moms. "Mom's, it's going to be a busy week this week; I expect them to be amazing. Sit up straight. Ladies, let's go. Abby sends the moms away while the girls start warming up.

Getting up, Elsa moves to the back; she listens as Abby begins warm-ups.

After warm-ups, Abby looks around the room as if she's looking for her next victim. "Who should I start with? Who wants to go first?"

Instantly Elsa's hand was in the air.

Abby beckons her up. "That's what I like to see. Do you girls see that her hand was in the air before I finished my question. That's the enthusiasm I need from all of you, don't be slugs. Understood?"

"Yes, ma'am," the girls reply.

Standing in the middle of the room in her white leotard, she felt slightly bad. She wanted to go first so that she isn't sitting there for hours watching the other girls learn their solo. Plus, she knew her sisters were gonna tease her about this.

Abby sits on her square. "Elsa, you're solo is entitled, 'I Won't Give Up.' I'm expecting a lot from you; since the last time you had a solo, you were the highest score of not only the soloists but the whole competition. There's little to no turns or leaps, so you need to bring the emotional execution, and that's something you lack compared to the rest of the girls."

Elsa nods; it's true. Compared to the rest of the girls, especially Bianca, she wasn't the most emotive.

"Face the mirror," Abby orders, starting the choreography. "Bend over, with your arms just handing, and then push back with your left foot, right foot in tendu and raise your arms up. You need to make that slow right there," Walking up to her, Abby positions her chest upwards. "Your chest should be facing the ceiling when you open your arms. Yes, like that. The next part bends your legs together and jumps up with your arms pointing forward..."

"It looks good so far. I think when you get the music, you'll be able to connect better. Go get a drink," Abby dismisses her an hour later.

"Thank you, Miss Abby," Elsa says, walking over to the door and pushing it open. She didn't know how to feel about her routine. So far, but she also didn't have the music yet. Hopefully, when she gets the music, she'll feel more confident about it.

ooOooOooOooOoo

While the girls are learning their solos, Ileen joins the rest of the moms for lunch as Mohan's.