XXXI. New Girl In Town

"Come on, girls! Let's go! Come on!" Abby claps at them as they walk in. "Congratulations on a successful dance concert. All of your performances were amazing."

Clapping with the rest of the team, Sabrina thought back to last week. Last week was fun, but I don't know if the hip-hop routine was 'amazing.' At least we tried something new.

"You showed the entire city of Pittsburgh why we are ranked nationally in the country as one of the top dance studios. Now keep in mind-- this is the road to nationals. This is where it gets tough. Because we will be going to California to go to the iHollywood competition," Abby announces.

Abby turns to the mirror and reaches for the end of the pyramid. "In the bottom of the pyramid, I have Paige. You couldn't do too much with the boot. I understand that; I want it to heal. You were supposed to see a doctor in four weeks."

"She's going this week," Kelly tells her.

Abby crosses her fingers. "So let's hope, Paige, that you're gonna be dancing again. Brooke, the hip-hop dance really wasn't your thing. Next Mackenzie. Mackenzie, you went out there, and you looked just like the big girls. However, I thought the hip-hop choreography was a bit over your head."

It was a bit over my head, too, Sabrina thought mirthfully. It was over everybody's head.

"Moving up the pyramid," Abby says. "I have Nia. You received the award for the Most Improved student, that is something to be very proud of. However, like I've said before, do not rest on your laurels. Next Chloe. Chloe, 'Trapped.' You did a great job in the role.

"Next, Maddie. Maddie, you won the scholarship in your age division. And on top of the pyramid, I have the triplets. They had the most routines, and I didn't hear them complain once about it. Kendall, you can see you're not on the pyramid yet. Keep working, keep trying, and you might get on this team.

"Mackenzie, you have a solo. You better do the whole number. Nia, you also have a solo. Now, I have one more solo to give out. Who wants it? Who thinks they could do it?" Abby asks.

Sabrina didn't bother raising her hand. Abby probably knows who's getting the solo.

When both Chloe and Maddie raise their hand, she isn't surprised when Abby tilts her head and says, "It's going to Chloe. Everybody is in the group routine. Kendall, I am inviting you to travel to California with us to participate in the group number."

"Abby, why don't Sabrina, Bianca, and or Elsa have solos?" Kelly asks.

Sabrina's brow goes to her hairline before she shares a look with her sisters. Why does she care? Is she worried for us?

"Kelly, why do you care?" her Mom asks. "Shouldn't you be happy that they don't have solos? You always say my girls get solos over the rest of the girls. Now they don't have solos, and you're upset."

"From what I get, these are auditions for Nationals, and they haven't had solos. I'm just wondering why," Kelly explains. "I just don't think it's like Abby not to give them a solo. She always gives them a solo or a trio. Especially when Nationals are not so far away."

"Because they already have solos for nationals. And they don't have to audition. Is that what you want to hear, Kelly?" Abby waves the moms out the door. "You are dismissed. Girls spread apart; we have a lot of work to do."

After a twenty-minute warm up the girls began learning the routine. It's an eerie dark piece that reminds Sabrina a lot of 'Where Have All the Children Gone?'

"Hey, there's no getting out of this group, so learn it," Abby tells Mackenzie when she stumbles on a step. "Start from the beginning because Mackenzie doesn't know what she's doing."