🌻CHAPTER 6: Across The Street🌻

Klaus continued to hold the girl that had finally calmed down after a few minutes of crying. She wiped her cheek one last time before laughing at herself. "I'm sorry about that, I shouldn't have bothered you guys." she looked down feeling ashamed for letting them see her so weak. "It's okay, we know how you feel."  Five spoke for all of them, most of his siblings looking at him briefly clearly shocked at his atypical statement. 

" I'm Ellie by the way, I guess you guys knew that already from Klaus here. You guys don't need to introduce yourselves, Pogo already filled me in. By name though, not by number. of course except for you, Five." She said shyly to the boy, lowering her head even more, cheeks heating up in embarrassment. They laughed slightly at her attempt at breaking the tension, all of them easing more to her, they felt calm in her presence, a soft aura surrounded her and none of them complained, even Allison who felt jealous of her a little while ago.

The children spent a few more minutes getting to know each other, some of them even whipping out their powers. Vanya watched as Diego and Five competed for her attention, laughing, hands covering her mouth to muffle the noise, as they began arguing over something, she leaned towards Ellie whispering in her ear "I think they like you." Ellie snickered at her remark, while Klaus who didn't mean to hear it scoffed slightly "I think they like you a little too much."  The girl didn't even bother replying as she laughed at the brothers' interaction, the other children laughing along with her. Their laughs hung in the air until a knock sounded, they froze, eyes trained at the door dreading the impending punishment if it were their Father who had caught them. The door opened slowly to reveal Pogo who released a sigh as his eyes met the green orbs of the girl with flowers in her hair. 

Upon seeing the old chimp, the children each let out a breath expecting the worse. Pogo stood there and smiled at them, gaze still trained on little Ellie. "As much as it warms my heart that you are all enjoying each other's company, I'm afraid it is time for Ms. Ellie to return home."  The children frowned as the girl stood up taking the chimp's extended hand. "You may come along children, but mind your steps." with grins now plastered on their faces, they then went on to follow the girl and Pogo down the stairs, careful steps, well-aware of the consequences if they were caught loitering around the house past bedtime. As was drilled into them, the seven siblings lined up as they said good night to the girl, they watched as Pogo opened the door, the girl just walking out. All of them scrunched their foreheads confused, the feeling sensed by the empath immediately turning around halting her steps. "Why are you all so confused?"  She asked, not needing to assess the look on their faces. "Well, we were expecting maybe a car, or at least your parents."  She laughed quietly, the chimp even releasing a slight chuckle himself. 

"Children, Ms. Ellie lives in the manor across the street. Her parents decided to move so your father could take a closer eye on her powers."  The siblings nodded, yet completely disregarded what he said as they began whispering, begging him to let them walk her across. The symphony of 'pleases' overwhelmed the old chimp as he let out an exasperated sigh "Very well, across the street and back, not a moment longer."  The boys and girls suppressed their cheers, bolting out into the cold air of the night, wearing nothing but their identical pajamas, socks, and slippers, except for Ellie that still sported her dress and sweater. 

The crossing wasn't a problem, the street was empty most nights, only dull glow of the street lamps illuminated the happy faces of the Hargreeves children that never really had the luxury of having any semblance of fun. Ellie led them into the short tunnel that led to the front door, her feet planting on the welcome mat as the door swung open, revealing a smiling Wulfric Hayes. The children's eyes widened to see the man, expecting to be scolded, but none of them saw any anger, only a glint of mischief, something they guaranteed they would never see on their own father. 

"You came home late huh, little missy. I sent your mama to bed. And you must be the little Hargreeveses. My, the last time I seen any of you's, you all were babes. I should really try to visit more, or convince old Reggie to let you out. How about a good cup of hot chocolate? hmmm... that does sound good."  The man trailed off "Uhmmm, actually Sir, Pogo only let us come to take Ellie back." Luther said. "Nonsense son, Pogo knew that you would meet me when he let you come, and he of all people would know that I wouldn't let visitors come, especially my little Ellie's guests, leave without a cup of my delicious cocoa. Now you all come in now."  Ellie was the first to walk in as she followed her dad dragging Vanya who still held onto her hand. 

"Sorry about him guys, he's just excited that I've made friends. He took me to the park once, but, the other kids thought I was weird."  They all nodded, none of them really knowing what would happen if they had been stuck in that situation, Reginald never let them out of the manor, they only ever had each other.

The man led the group of children into the kitchen. There he had them all sit down as he faced the stove placing a pot to warm some milk. While he waited he walked to the fridge pulling out a big pink box, situating it on the counter, and facing it towards the children showing it to be filled with different donuts. "Go on, help yourselves. Nothing like a good old donut. Love 'em to death but the missus won't let me have as many as I used to. Guess it has something to do with me growing old and stuff." The children laughed each taking one out of the box as the man turned back to the stove and returned a few minutes later with mugs, placing one in front of each child, plopping some marshmallows in the process.

Wulfric watched as the children finally warmed up to him, their smiles reaching their eyes, something that he presumed would not be a usual occurrence under Reggie's roof. His gaze then lingered on his daughter that had a huge smile on her face, his chest erupted with happiness as he saw the pure joy in her eyes. But to his dismay he was the one to cut the party short, knowing fully that Reggie may not act well with his children out of bed. When the mugs were empty and the pink box reduced to nothing but crumbs and patches of powdered sugar and oil, the father and his daughter guided the seven Hargreeves children to the front door. Another round of good nights were passed on as the children prepared to run back, but before they could Wulfric tapped on Luther's shoulder making the boy stop, the older man fished a key from his coat and held it to the boy, placing it in his receiving palm. 

"Luther, son, when you kids ever decide to sneak out for some donuts, have your brothers and siblings go to the side exit, that'll take you out quicker and so Pogo can't catch you. This key is to that entrance right there, just follow the path and you'll end in the backyard, you can scream for Ellie back there."  The boy only nodded, thanking him before leading his siblings back home. When they were through the door, the man looked to his daughter picking her up in his arms. "They were really nice weren't they papa?"  Wulfric only chuckled at his little girl, his face playfully turning stern "Yes they were little miss. So... Which one of the boys who were staring at you is your boyfriend?"

EDITED