🌸CHAPTER 29: Lunch🌸

The Handler's office was definitely hers. It was eerie, much like a witch's den, and the books and fancy gear were probably just a coverup for the den anyways. The couple sat across the woman on her desk, eating the food that was graciously provided for them, the handler slurping her own noisily. She rambled on telling a story about a monumental mission. Her eyes glinting as she spoke, something almost mischievous working behind her dark orbs.

"That was how Phil determined that the archduke just had to go." She said finishing both her tale and her--smoothie? Pushing her tray to the side. "Care for dessert?" She offered the two, making Five scrunch his fac and Ellie politely shaking her head.

"I had a bad twinkie in the apocalypse once. It kinda put me off desserts." Five replied, explaining the aversion to sweet treat, only sparking the woman to push the bowl of candies towards them.

"Please, indulge me." Five was the only one to give in, grabbing one from the bowl, unwrapping it and shoving it into his mouth. He stilled for a bit as he tasted the unusual flavor. Ellie looked to him, his face quite perplexed as he chewed. The woman across them did the same, lighting a cigarette and puffing out a smoke as she did.

"What does that taste like?" She asked him, more smoke coming out of her mouth.

"The 1950's?" The teenage boy's answer more of a question, as he tried to taste it a little bit more.

"Precisely right. Our clever metaphysics division concocted a way to perfectly distill an entire decade into a single candy. This one's modeled on the Fudge Mutt, America's favorite in 1955."

"Remarkable."

"You both would be happy to know, it's the very division that's building your new bodies. Oh, that reminds me I have something for you." The handler reached over and, pressed on her intercom calling out to a woman, Carla, and instructing her to get something, after mere seconds a woman had come in carrying two boxes, placing them in front of the couple. The Handler shot them a wide smile, getting up from her chair to stand closer to the pair. "Go on, open it." She urged them making the two comply, opening up the boxes to reveal familiar clothes. Standard uniforms, with a sleeker and more sophisticated look. "Won't it be nice when you could actually wear them? Very soon I assure you both, they're perfecting your bodies as we speak."

The boy looked down at the garments, fit for a leader indeed. He glanced at his wife who he found was already looking at him. He sighed, looking down once more before closing the box. "Thank you, it is a kind gift." he said to the Handler. Five looked around before settling on the many weapons displayed at the back of the room. An altar of destruction, ranging from bombs to guns, to swords, all of which have played their role in history. "Is that a Chinese Flame thrower." He asked The Handler walking towards the object to examine it closely. Leaving Ellie sat on the chair in front of the ghastly woman.

"Good eye... war. Such a fascinating concept. A temporary salve for permanent human flaw. Course, it's a bit easier to see 30,000 feet away." The woman walked to near the boy who continued to chew on his piece of candy. Her voice getting quieter to Ellie as she did so, making her uneasy. This feeling bubbling to a boil when she saw that The Handler had leaned in to whisper something in Five's ear. She did not want to overstep however, so she did as she did. She sat there to stew, to ruminate on the annoyance she felt fear no longer the ordeal, in fact all she wanted to do was rip the woman's head off of her shoulders. It would be a delight indeed.

The two behind her continued to talk, Ellie's eyes hard on their figures up until the final straw had ensued. The Handler was a bitch and the hand that went to touch Five's face and bop his nose, in front of his wife no less, was proof. She saw red, in a state of pure ire she felt her ears and skin get hot, boy was she mad ladies and gentlemen. And yet here he was, her husband, with a simple squeeze to the hand her emotions fluctuating immediately, making her take a deep breath before facing the woman that now sat behind her desk and then noticing Dot who stood not far to their right. "Hmmm, duty calls. We'll continue the discussion later on, Five. " The handler said looking to Dot and to the teenagers. The pair standing up to say their farewells.

"Sure, May I?" He said, pointing towards the bowl of sweets in front of him, the woman only giving him a nod and smile before Five plucked a few and shoved it in his pocket, his hand grabbing Ellie's and walking out with her in tow. They ended up on the hallway, Ellie feeling awfully suspicious about how Dot had looked while in The Handler's office. She was antsy, the look of uneasiness clear on her usually happy face. Unlike the Handler, Dot did not have her guards up. She was easy to read. The small amount of time she had allowed Ellie to somehow get the gist, making her grab Five's hand and rush down the corridors and near the tube room.

"What are we doing here Ellie?" Five asked, placing both of his hands onto her cheeks, forcing her to look at him. He couldn't say he was surprised to witness the frantic loo on her face from the rush he was just subjected to go through, but he was the least bit curious as t why it was there in the first place. She took a deep breath before speaking, but to no avail as her statement came out ragged.

"God... I'm... so... out... of... shape." She sucked in another breath, finally being able to compose herself. "You think your so slick huh, Hargreeves? Well, you're not." This made Five scrunch his eyebrows together, confused at what she meant.

"Elle what do you mean." The girl only rolled her eyes in annoyance

"All the flirting doesn't mean shit! Cause their already suspicious."

"No way." Five defended, earning another eye roll from his wife. She harshly pulled him so that he would be able to peer into the hallway where Dot was now entering the tube room.

"Listen closely dear husband, so you remember who is always right. Now blink us in there" She sneered at him, the boy complying to her command, the two of them now nestled behind some equipment.

"Gloria, the Handler knows that the Hargreeves are up to something. Get this to Hazel and Cha-cha immediately. Immediately." Dot said instructing the woman firmly while Gloria was still rather flustered from the sudden intrusion. Dot finally walked out, leaving the older woman in the room completely oblivious to the two teenager whose argument was drowned out by sound of tubes clanking.

"Need I say more?" Ellie said with a smug look on her face.

"Shut up Elle, you ready?" 

EDITED