22: Otherworldly

Caspen's POV

Sleep comes to me with ease. It is something I have never struggled with. Even during the battles, if I was ordered rest I would find it. Whilst my peers find calm in books, music and nature, my own haven is my bed. My sleep is priceless to me.

Though my dreams tend to be free, and empty of my conscious life today's dream isn't. She is there. Waiting for me. Waiting for us.

"Don't find me. Leave me alone." She whispers, tears glistening in her dark blue, doe eyes.

"But we are destined." Valentine holds out a hand, as if to embrace her. Or whisk her away.

"Please. I don't wish to be with you. You hurt me in more ways than I can say." The emotion rolls down her cheeks, leaving a trail of sparkles as they go.

"We can fix it Astraea, we can live in freedom and peace." Xanouth knows her name, though we do not know how. Astraea. We smile in unison. It seems we are all understanding our fated.

"You know my name?" She is shocked.

"I do." Xanouth steps forward to join Valentine, they grin, slightly, at each other. All is fine.

"I'm not safe here." She looks down at her feet, instead of taking their hands.

"You are always safe with us." Floren mumbles, both shy and confident.

"I am never safe with you. I am always running, like now!" She growls, throwing her hands at her sides and huffing. She has fire within her. I like it.

 "You won't have to run any longer." Luther's voice is gentle, we're all a little shocked. But mostly, it seems, is Astraea. We know she lived with Niko. We know it was horrible for her. He brought her to our ball in a fucking collar. Of course she wouldn't expect anything more of his older brother.

"It is impossible."

"We can make it possible." I step forward joining my brothers, and they smile. Whatever this fated journey has in store for us, I'm starting to understand. But until we have her, together, I need confirmation.

"No. Please!" She runs her hands through her snow hair, "Just leave me be."

"I'm sorry, we cannot." Valentine's eyes are gentle and sad. She wants to be alone, but it isn't in our abilities. The world shimmers with emotion, Astraea's face become distorted and fuzzy.

"No matter how many times you try to run away fate will bring us together!" Luther shouts into the haze. He isn't wrong. We will unite, in unconsciousness or in person.

Consciousness hits me like a bullet. I never normally desire to awaken, but I especially despised the thought today. The yellow haze of the early sun softly illuminates my room. I expected darkness. What time were we supposed to get up, again?

"Oh boy we are so late." Valentine skids past my doorway, and stumbles back.

"What's the time?" I stretch my arms above my head, and groan.

"You don't even need to know, Cas, only the fact that we were meant to wake up at eight last night. It's the next morning." He smiles and my eyes widen. If Luther is awake, he is not a happy wolf. Oh I should use that one. Valentine urges me to get out of bed, and unwillingly I do. Though I must be too slow for him, because as soon as I get out of the bathroom he grabs my arm and heaves me out of the door.

"Wait, Val! I need to-Val! I need to tell you about my dream!" I stutter out, only being cut off by the speed we're going at. I'm sure my feet are on fire. Valentine isn't affected, of course. Curse him and his stupid vampire speed skills. My words cause him to stop, if only for a second, but thank the heavens.