11: I, The Sister

But it can't go out with a bang. Reasons being I don't seem to have a gun lying around. 

The plan is destined for failure. Here begins the demise of Astraea. Unless my plan magically works. Unless I manage to cause a revolutionary argument between brothers. Theoretically, the downfall of the current Alpha King will help Niko rise to power. And because I'm his 'mate' I should be ruling by his side. And then it just slips into my grasp, I act as the perfect little love therefore getting rewarded with whatever I want. A new handbag? Done. A new coat? Done. The slaughter of the other Supernatural Leaders? Done... Fingers crossed.

"Raea!" Maddox voice calls from the stairs.

"What?" I yell back.

"You have a visitor!" He says. Oh god. Who now? I jump from my bed, ditching the notebook that's spread onto the sheets, and stumble down the stairs.

"For god's sake, Astraea, you're gonna crack your head open one of these days." Koda scolds, grabbing me by the shoulders. 

"I'm fine!" I whine, and push at his hold.

"You should listen to him, Astraea." Of course it had to be Aca. My cheeks burn at our last encounter.

"I lived alone for ten years and didn't die." I sigh, bluntly. 

"Astraea..." Aca whines, and reaches to hug me. This action alone confuses me, I've known him barely two weeks and he's rushing to embrace me? 

"Why are you here?" I grumble.

"Astraea!" Maddox scolds from the kitchen.

"Stop it, Maddox. You can't tell me off for things I was never taught! I was seven! A damn child when your kind took everything away from me." I burst.

"You know that's not how it was." He protests, much to my confusion.

"How would I know? I was locked in a basement for god knows how long. Weeks! Weeks with barely any food or water. Do you know how that feels? To be willing to eat the dirt from the floor just to over come the hunger digging at your insides? Answer me that." I growl.

"I-I-" Maddox stumbles, "I've never been in that situation." He admits.

"And have you ever lived in said basement with a corpse? A body you didn't know was dead until the roars of war stopped? The very body that was your everything, your light, your darkness, your sun, your moon?" I cry.

"It wasn't just humans who died." Maddox mumbles.

"And who of yours died?" I question.

"Astraea, that's none of your business." He replies.

"Is it not? Was it any of Niko's business when he stumbled across Conan and I in the snow? Conan who saved me from a fire? Did he even tell you any of this?" 

"He had to take you, Astraea. You don't understand. You're his mate."

I'm his mate.

Always his. 

I'm a belonging. I'm not a human, I'm a parcel. I'm a small bundle of items and I belong to someone. My rights are pulled from me, my business is no longer my own. Saved from a fire? No matter, you're mine now. We don't care who saved you. Might as well have been me.

But was it you? With hair of fire and eyes of gold, a sarcastic smile and warm hands. Was that you who fought me on the couch? Was that you who hated but adored me? Was that you who saved me?

Of course my fire was not you. You are the one I will hate. And he is the one I will love. And love I do. Love is anything but here. Love is chosen. Love is allowed. Love is free.