Bonus Chapter - "Nana", Part I

"Nana", Part I

a Smoke of Sighs bonus chapter
by Ami

***

About this scene:

In Chapter 81, we meet Layla's parents for the first time as Layla prepares to move out of her student dorm. She breaks down into tears in front of them, still overwhelmed and heart-broken over what transpired between her and Kayden. He had been unable to reciprocate her declaration of love and their tumultuous relationship came to an unsatisfying close.

I think we can all imagine how Layla's parents might feel towards the man who broke their daughter's heart. In this bonus chapter, we get a glimpse into what unfolds when Layla and Kayden's new and happy relationship in Toronto is revealed to her parents.

This is a two-part bonus chapter.

Enjoy! xoxo Ami

***

LAYLA

"Mom," I insist, pressing the screen closer to my ear and trying not to lose my temper, "Come on. It isn't like that."

"Layla, honey. Isn't this the same man who left you completely devastated a few months ago? I seriously can't believe you'd be willing to just move past all that..."

"It was a misunderstanding. We needed to work things out, and we have." Chewing distractedly on my thumbnail, I collapse back onto my bed and promise, "We're happy. I'm happy. In fact, I'm happier than I've ever been. Isn't that what matters?"

I can practically imagine my mother pinching the bridge of her nose. She lets out a laboured sigh before continuing with her same determined vigour, "Of course we want you to be happy, muffin. But your father and I can't just pretend that this situation is alright. I seriously have a hard time believing that this... fellow, whatever his name is... that he has good intentions. And isn't he much too old for you?"

Before I even picked up the phone, I knew this was going to be a difficult conversation. I told myself that I needed to be mature, and level-headed, and reasonable, to illustrate the fact that my judgment is completely sound... But it's been fifteen minutes of back-and-forth and I'm ready to tear all my hair out. "Kayden. His name is Kayden. I think you're missing the point, Mom. I'm perfectly capable of making decisions for myself, and I wouldn't be in this relationship if I didn't think that he's good for me!"

"Layla. You're twenty-two years old, honey. Of course you have a strong head on your shoulders but I'm worried you aren't able to see this situation clearly for what it is. Objectively—"

"Objectively he is an incredible person and he treats me the way you want me to be treated. You guys don't even know him. I just wish you'd give him a chance before you draw these... irrational conclusions." My cheeks are flaming pink and my throat is getting scratchy, I can feel it. "I think you're being overly judgmental."

She expels another loaded huff. I can hear my dad's voice in the background, some muffled conversation between the two of them. "I'm handing you over to your father," she informs me. My eyelids drift shut. I scrub my fingertips over them tiredly.

My dad's breathing is heavier and instantly recognizable. After a long pause, he grumbles, "Layla Cassandra Mitchell."

"You know I'm not twelve, right Dad?"