Bonus Chapter - "Jack"

A/N: I don't think anything has been more requested than this. Let's get this comment party started. Fun fact, this is the first SoS scene I've written in the third person. It's a long one (😏). ENJOY!

xoxo Ami

***

"Jack"

a Smoke of Sighs bonus chapter
by Ami

***

Beep. Beep. Click. Click. Whoosh.

Three, maybe even two years ago, the buzzing, churning noises of the hospital and the antiseptic reek of sick bodies was an exciting prospect for Jack Reynolds.

In retrospect, he must have been an idiot.

"Dr. Reynolds." The charge nurse greeted him with a watery smile as he strolled through the doors onto the ward. "Mr. Felix in room eight had a fit an hour ago and nearly tore out his stitches. Can we discuss his sedation?"

Good morning. Yes, coffee sounds great, thank you. The second-year psychiatry resident dropped his jacket onto a chair at the nursing station and began jabbing at a spare keyboard. "Give me a moment to log into the chart, Trin, and I'll take a look." It was barely six in the morning and Jack was still blinking the sleepy haze from his eyes.

"Oh, and Jenny. Room five. She's on Risperidone, PRN, but we should—" Trin's updates went through one ear and out the other while Jack lumbered over to the kitchenette and fumbled blearily for a paper cup. There were barely two singed mouthfuls of stale coffee left at the bottom of the pot.

"Trin," he grumbled. "I'll put in the order for Mr. Felix. Can we get some more coffee?" There was a pause. After an uncomfortable second, he realized how surly he sounded. "Please."

"Right away, Dr. Reynolds."

His eyes dragged up towards the ceiling. It was gonna be another long fucking day.

***

A stifled moan purred from the corner of Layla's parted lips. One of her hands flew downwards to ruffle Kayden's hair while her head sank into the pillow. "Wait, what was I saying?" Her eyebrows scrunched together in an attempt to focus. A useless attempt. Kayden's mouth was hot and wet as he kissed a taunting trail up her smooth inner thigh. "Kayden, c'mon..." Another breathless moan. "Oh yeah. Remember? Jack's birthday. Weren't we gonna plan something, or..."

Kayden groaned and scraped his teeth against the tender skin at the edge of her panties. He was about to eat her out and she was busy thinking about Jack's birthday? Fucking seriously?

He swept a gruff palm up to squeeze her breast through her flimsy tank-top. Taking her budded nipple between his fingers, he warned, "Say Jack's name one more time."

A slow, beaming grin spread across her face. "Mm, Jack..."

Ten minutes later, he'd managed to spank any further mention of his best-friend out of her, at least temporarily.

***

"Haldol and lorazepam, five and two, stat."

"Yes, Dr. Reynolds."

***

"Yes, Dr. Reynolds," Kayden imitated with a shit-eating smirk. "No, Dr. Reynolds. Right away, Dr. Reynolds. Please and thank you, Dr. Reynolds." He laughed while Jack swore crudely beneath his breath on the other end of the line. "I bet that never gets old. Have you fucked any nurses yet?"