Chapter Thirteen

»»———— RESTORATION ————««

When leaving the Great Hall the next day, Val almost collided with Cedric. He smiled at her. "Funny seeing you here."

"Yeah, isn't it?" She chuckled for a moment as she began to walk the same way with him.

"How are you and Malfoy?" He asked, and she gave him a look. "What? I'm genuinely curious. I just hope you're happy, is all."

"I'm very happy, yeah." She nodded. "Again, I'm really sorry, Ced. But I will always care so much about you."

"I know," He said, turning a corner and walking along the stairs down to the dungeons. He must've had her father's class next. "I'm alright, Val, really. We were never actually really dating, anyways. Though, that would've been nice. I was just too chicken."

She hit his arm, making him laugh a joyous laugh. "The world needs more people like you, Cedric Diggory."

"I think there's one too many." He dismissed her comment jokingly. She just gave him a serious look. "Thank you, Val. That means a lot coming from you."

"I wasn't sure that you would save me." She found herself saying, and he glanced over at her for a moment before looking back at the stone staircase they were walking down.

"Why?"

"I don't know. I thought maybe you'd be upset with me, or choose someone else." She shook her head.

"I knew as soon as I saw the four of you down there that you were the one I was meant to save. I didn't hesitate. I hope you believe that." He said, knowing how much of an issue she had with trust. She smiled at him.

"Of course you did. You're... you. I realized I was silly for thinking that. I just couldn't be sure." She chewed her lip slightly.

"Your mind plays tricks on you. It leads you to think these things you've been conditioned to think, but none of it's true. You have great friends here, including me, who would do anything to help you, be there for you, and protect you." He said, speaking in such a wise tone. She didn't know how he did that.

"You always know the right words to say." She stopped when he did, outside of the Potions classroom.

"Well, I do my best." He shrugged, playing it off once again. He was so humble.

"Are you ready for the third task?" She inquired. He shrugged, knowing he could be honest with her.

"I suppose I'm as ready as I'll ever be. If that's enough, is the question." He sighed out. She just gave him a reassuring smile.

"I know you can do it." She said confidently, enough to make him believe it himself. She just had that effect on people. He was more than glad he got to know her this year, and she felt the same way. Hopefully next year when he's not spending all his time with the tournament, they can actually all hang out together and have a good time. They could go to Hogsmeade together and talk over some Butterbeers. They could just be friends. That was all she wanted. "I'll be cheering you on in the stands, Ced."