Chapter Thirty Five

»»———— THE HALFBLOOD PRINCE ————««

Harry got the bright idea from Ron to use the vial of Liquid Luck he'd received at the beginning of the year in order to get the memory from Professor Slughorn. He was successful, and brought it back to Dumbledore. They learned, then, that Voldemort had used a very dark form of magic, a Horcrux, in order to insure he could never die. He spoke about creating seven, but they had no idea how many there really were. And the items could be anything, but one thing they knew, was that they each left the same trace of dark magic. Tom Riddle's diary that Harry had destroyed in the Chamber of Secrets and Tom Riddle's mother's ring were Horcruxes. Dumbledore had destroyed the ring last summer, which was what had turned his hand black. Severus had casted a spell to hold the dark magic from spreading even further, at least for a year. It was then that Severus told him about Draco being assigned the task, although they had expected Val to be. Nonetheless, it didn't change their plans. Dumbledore knew he was going to die from the curse at least, but he needed to make sure to acquire the memory before then. And he'd done just that. Now, he knew of one more Horcrux. And he was going to take Harry with him to retrieve it before the time of his death comes.

Val went to see Professor McGonagall before the day came. She was really scared, considering she didn't know the truth, of what she was going to think of a Val when it all took place. "How is Mr. Malfoy?"

"He's doing better. He should be able to leave the Hospital Wing soon." Val answered, taking a sip of the delicious tea. She was going to miss it.

"That's good to hear. I was quite worried about him. Do you know what happened?" She asked, and Val shrugged.

"I have no idea. I just found him like that. He doesn't remember, either." She lied, and McGonagall couldn't see through her at all. She was good at this, and she was getting even better.

"That's just terrible." She shook her head. "Tell me, how has your endeavor been? With the Dark Lord's task?"

"It's looking up." She mumbled, and McGonagall smiled at that.

"That's wonderful to hear. You're just a child, but you're doing wonderful things to help the Order. I'm so proud of you, Val." She told her seriously. Val couldn't help herself as she began to tear up. McGonagall gave her a concerned look.

"Please promise me, no matter what happens, no matter what I'm required to do..." She sniffed. "You will still care about me."

"Val," McGonagall sighed, rushing over to her quickly. She knelt down in front of her, wiping her tears away. "I will never stop caring about you. I know you, and I know the goodness in your heart. You've become like a daughter to me. I love you like my own."

"I don't know if you know, but my mother left me just after I was born. I could never understand why she did that, and it hurt me so badly. It made me not want to care about anyone, because I didn't want to get hurt like that again. But my friends, my teachers, Draco, all of you pulled me out of that. You showed me love and light in my darkest times, and I am forever thankful for that. You've become a mother to me, and I am so grateful to have you. To just be able to come talk to you about anything and have you here for me. I will never forget what you've done for me, Professor." She told her, and now, McGonagall's eyes had gotten glossy as she wanted to cry herself. She always wanted children, but she was never going to get any.