Chapter Twenty One

»»———— THE MIRROR OF ERISED ————««

Val was sitting with Hermione, Ron, and Ginny in the Great Hall for lunch. Ron was eating a sausage while reading a book. Hermione gave him a look. "Do you ever stop eating?"

"Blimey, Hermione. Does everything I do get on your nerves?" He rolled his eyes.

"Well, of course not." She sighed. They looked over to see Harry approaching them. He hadn't really spoken to them much at all. He'd been keeping to himself, and none of them knew what to do about it. Everyone was just sad, and the winter coming soon didn't help.

"Hey, guys." He greeted them nervously.

"Harry," Hermione smiled softly.

"Can I join you?" He asked, as if he needed to. Luckily, his conversation with Luna helped him a lot. He knew he needed to stop pushing his friends away and allow them to be there for him and help him. His brain was telling him otherwise, though, so it was going to be a bit of a challenge.

They smiled at him, but before they could say anything, they heard a ruckus outside the Great Hall. It sounded like Umbridge and McGonagall arguing. They all got up and rushed over to see what was going on. "Pardon me, Professor, but what exactly are you insinuating?"

"I am merely requesting that when it comes to my students, you conform to the prescribed disciplinary practices." McGonagall stopped to give her a look.

"So silly of me, but it sounds as if you're questioning my authority in my own classroom, Minerva." She stepped up on the small staircase they were standing on to make herself appear taller.

"Not at all, Dolores, merely your medievil methods!" She exclaimed, stepping up a couple of steps, too.

"I am sorry, dear. But to question my practices is to question the Ministry, and by extension, the minister himself. I am a tolerant woman, but the one thing I will not stand for is disloyalty." Umbridge shook her head. McGonagall looked at her with shock that she would accuse her of such a thing.

"Disloyalty." She repeated, chuckling joylessly. Umbridge stood to face the students who were gathered around watching, then.

"Things at Hogwarts are far worse than I feared. Cornelius will want to take immediate action." She declared, and they all sighed. Things were only going to get worse, weren't they? From that moment on, the Minister named Umbridge the Hogwarts High Inquisitor. She walked around school, terrorizing the students by not allowing them to touch one another, fixing their uniforms so they were at her standards, and sitting in on classes and observing the professors. She made sure Fred and George's jokes and tricks were put to an end, which didn't sit well with them. She implimented Educational Decree after Educational Decree, ensuring that the students were allowed no freedom or fun.