the one that got away

summary: based on the song

this song has been my jam since i was about 11 and i'm now closer to being 20 than i am to being 11 and that's making me panic! everywhere and not just exclusively at the disco but it made me produce this

warnings: angst, swearing, mentions of smut 

Poe Dameron had always believed in true love.

He saw it not only within his parents' relationship but everywhere he looked: in the couple who lived next door to his childhood home, in the bar where he worked during his time at the academy, in couples walking down the street. It was everywhere and nowhere; the kind of thing that you could feel in your soul but never physically grasp - or, at least that had been his initial understanding of it.

Then Poe met you.

That was how he realised that love was very much something he could physically feel. Not only could he feel it, he could see it and he could hear it and he could finally understand it. You were the answer to every question he'd ever had.

He could feel it whenever you held his hand and he could hear it whenever you laughed at one of his terrible jokes. Whenever he simply looked at you - whether it was under the blinding morning light or simply the outline of your and against his chest in the dark - it was there. What had started as a stupid fling in the academy had turned into something more. You were his whole world, his everything.

Poe was your soulmate; your best friend and your partner-in-crime (or as you had affectionally dubbed him, your poetner-in-crime). You were always on the same wavelength, emitting the same chaotic energy and terrible jokes. You had each other's backs to no end, the kind of bond that spanned the galaxy and back ten times over. The love between was the kind that very few people were lucky enough to experience.

'Poe, quick!'

You were tearing down the corridor, fingers intertwined. Almost tripping over each other, you skidded around a corner and into a dark classroom, slamming the door behind you. You fell back against the door, Poe's arms on either side of you as he leant against you, body shaking with laughter.

'His face!' The pilot could barely control his laughter. 'Maker, I've never seen the guy so angry.'

'That'll teach him to fuck with us again.' You smiled.

'Us.' Poe repeated your words back to you.

'Yeah?' You grin grew wider. You pushed a few strewn, dark curls back off his face. 'Me too.'

'I love you.' His hand ghosted your cheekbone, resting on your face for a moment.

'I love you too.' You leant up to kiss him, revelling in the feeling of his lips against yours. It was the feeling of home; warm and soft and welcoming all at once.

'Forever?'

'Forever.'

Nothing could come between you - until it did.

The war.

The beginning of another civil war were in the making. People who had lived through the first one had the same sense of unease they did the first time around; the appearance of more TIE fighters in the sky, more recruits coming to the academy, training increasing tenfold. There was discontent across the galaxy and nobody knew what was coming.

Poe left first. He was a few years ahead of you in terms of training, having been piloting since he was a kid. That, paired with his admirable recklessness and natural leadership, made him perfect for the Resistance. You were his whole damn world but he had to fight for the galaxy; a galaxy in which you could both have a future.