sorry seems to be the hardest word

summary: with the war over, poe has a little too much time to think. more specifically, he has too much time to think about you.

You passed each other in the hallway sometimes.

Nobody would have known. Not a single person would have guessed that behind your professional nods and quick glances, that years of history lay untouched between the two of you. Early mornings, filled with rays of pink and yellow sunshine, fingers dancing across bare skin and as you laughed together, revelling in nothing but the highs of pure love. Then there had been the nights; they were undeniably colder, a shadow cast over the galaxy as the darkness forced people to face the horrors of war. You couldn't see anything, not even a foot in front of you – but you could reach your hand out, and you knew that Poe Dameron would take it. He was there. He was always there.

And then he wasn't.

You knew it wasn't his fault, nor was it yours. The Resistance needed both of you, but he'd been the one to call the shots on your relationship – and it had only been a matter of time, really. It was clear that things were going to come to head eventually and Poe had been the one to pull the trigger. You were important to him – perhaps the most paramount thing in his life – but none of it would have mattered if you lost the war. Secretly, he kind of hoped that he could just put a pin in it for later and win you back when the galaxy wasn't batshit crazy.

Later was now. Poe was a general – your boss, actually – and you were a commander for one of the New Republic fleets. He saw you ten or twenty times a day in passing, chattering with your squad or delivering mission reports. Everything he loved about you was still there; your poise, your professionalism, your biting tongue and wit. And yet, all he got these days was a curt nod or a hope you're doing well, general.

To give credit where credit was due, Poe had tried to get your attention. He'd made many attempts to win you back without ever actually saying it: you were the first person he promoted after the war, and you always got the good missions. He never chased you up for paperwork and surely, you must have noticed that you were always assigned the most high-tech jets. It felt as though he were screaming into the void, throwing out everything he could and hoping that you would get the message.

But you never did. Or, if you did get it, you were ignoring it. Your icy demeanour never changed, nor did your attitude towards him. Poe witnessed you in action every day – in the air and on the ground, with blasters and with words – and with each passing one, he was certain that he was still in love with you. His distance from you was simply a reminder that he'd hurt you, as though to say congrats, you fucked up! Nice one, asshole.

That brings us to now: specifically, early on a Tuesday morning, outside of your office. Poe, having reached breaking point, finally decided that he was just going to straight up tell you – or maybe he was asking you. Whatever it was, he knew that he had to get his feelings off his chest. If the war had taught him anything, it was that there was no time to roll over and let things pass. Even if you rejected him entirely, at least he could walk away knowing he'd tried.

Taking a deep breath, Poe raised his hand and knocked on your door twice. He knew that your schedule that day was clear – he'd made sure it was. You'd found it a little suspicious that your usual weekly meeting had suddenly been moved but you hadn't questioned it. You were already running around doing a thousand different things.

'One second!' You called. There was a light shuffling sound, and after the fall of your boots against the ground, you swung the door open. 'Poe – hi! General Dameron, sorry.'

'I hate when you call me general.' Poe groaned. (You found that to be quite ironic, because there had been many times when he'd demanded that you call him that – but that probably wasn't relevant. Moving on.)