the one where you talk about forever

summary: you and poe sneak out of the base and share a sweet moment {drabble}

warnings: none (that might be a first)

There was only one place of the galaxy where you truly felt at peace.

It was a small cliffside a ten minute walk from the base; a grassy area, covered by a tangle of trees and a small mud path. It overlooked the village a few miles out from the hangar; by the time you made it up there, it was late and the lights were sparkling against the canvas of the dark galaxy. The night was clear - cold and crisp - and you needed it. The last few days had been stressful, and you desperate to get out of your head.

You were perched on the ledge, legs dangling off edge and swaying back and forth. You had one of your hands buried in the grass, absent-mindedly tugging at the tiny green strands, smiling softly as the wind blew gently on your face.

'You didn't need to follow me.'

Poe, who was stood a few feet behind you, jumped at the sound of your voice. He hadn't even realised that you knew he was there - but the sound of his heavy boots against the ground had called your attention to him. He'd been asleep when you'd left him, completely dead to the world.

'Did you really think I was going to notice that you'd slipped out my arms and put a pillow there?' The pilot replied.

'It took you-' you paused, looking at your watch, 'twenty minutes.'

Poe snorted, gently sitting down next to you. 'So this is where you go when you can't sleep?'

'Yeah,' your eyes were still glued to the village below. 'It's peaceful.'

He put an arm around your shoulders, pulling you into his side. You rested your head on his shoulder, the scent of his aftershave adding to the comforting atmosphere. Maybe you'd been wrong in saying that this was your favourite place in the galaxy - your favourite place was wherever Poe was.

'It's a nice view.' He commented.

'It's beau-' you thinned your eyes when you realised his eyes were on you. 'Oh, c'mon Poe. How old is that line?'

'It's a classic!'

'It's tragic.' You groaned, dropping your head into the crook of his neck.

He laughed, pressing a kiss to your temple. 'Clearly my lines work for something because it's been two years and you're still here.'

'You have a point.' You took his hand in yours, pulling it into your lap and absent-mindedly playing with his fingers. His hands were calloused from his years of work in the Resistance, but they were familiar and warm.

'I'm serious though - it is a nice view.' Poe continued. 'It's been a while since we've been in a place where you can actually see the stars. It's usually just...smoke.'

You stared off into the distance again, noticing how the stars were particularly bright that night. They blended in nicely with the black backdrop of the night sky, scattered about in a million different directions like a galactic abstract painting. You couldn't have counted them if you tried. At some point, you'd probably flown among them on one of your missions. It was rare that you got a chance to actually sit back and admire them.

'I wonder how many galaxies are out there.' You murmured.

'I reckon there's at-least five.' Poe replied.

You laughed, shaking your head. 'You're not wrong.'

'Tell you what,' The pilot shuffled around to face you, hands still in yours, 'when all this is over, I'll take you to each and every one of them.'

'That might take a while, baby.'

'Exactly.' Poe pressed his forehead against yours, a sleepy smile playing on his lips.

'Some might even say it would take forever.'

'That's the plan.'