Chapter 15

So this is unforgiveably late, but if it makes it any better, I'm typing this at one in the morning and I have to be up in six hours. Please forgive any typos, I'm only half-conscious, but I finally shook off the writers block and fleshed out the rest of the plot of this book. 

This chapter might be confusing, but it's meant to be nad all will be slowly explained in the next few chapters. It all adds up in the end, I promise. 

This chapter is dedicated to XxpenelxX for the lovely new cover :)

Hope you enjoy the chapter, and please vote/comment if you can :)

Nicholas' POV

I could feel the agony radiating off of Mal from the other end of my bed, could feel his pain pierce my own soul, but the words just wouldn't stop coming, one unrelenting hateful flow. This was necessary, I knew, but why did it have to hurt so much?

Why did Mal have to hurt so much?

For what had to be the millionth time in the last few weeks, I wished fervently that I would wake up and find out that it had all been a dream, that I had never left Indiana, that I had never met Malcolm, and that I would never be faced with the prospct of hurting him so badly. The only good thing to come out of my move was Kieran's arrival in search of safe harbor and his subsequent mating, so I guessed that that would have to be enough. Being indirectly responsible for Kieran's mating would be the proudest point in my life, because I sure as shit didn't have anything else to be proud of.

Lately, it seemed that all I ever did was hurt people, and yet I knew that they would be hurt even more by the time all of this was over.

Because that was what I did, wasn't it- hurt the people I cared about most in the world?

I barely even registered Kieran and Christopher leaving the room. 

"I suppose that I ought to apologise for not informing you about my scars and suicide attempts, Malcolm, but surely I am correct in assuming that those are the sort of things a werewolf never wishes to discover about his mate?"

Okay, so maybe that was a bit too far.

The tension was palpable, stretching out between us like an elastic band, one which eventually snapped.

"YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME!," Mal roared, amber eyes flaming with pain and fury, every muscle and tendon in his whole body tense, like he'd literally snap apart.

I visibly recoiled from Mal's anger, not just because I disliked loud, angry outburst in general but ones directed at me in particular, but because now I could truly see just how far I'd pushed him, just how much I'd hurt him. Malcolm was a happy-go-lucky kind of a guy, with a smile for everyone. He would never have yelled at me before, but then again, I'd broken him, hadn't I?

My recoil seemed only to add to his pain, and I prayed that he couldn't see thefear in my eyes. It was an instinctual reaction, nothing I could ever blame Mal for, and I knew that the sight of it in my eyes towards him would destroy him. Terrified that he would glimpse the runaway emotion, I clenched my eyes shut tightly, blocking out the sight of my mate in agony.

The moment I heard the whimper, however, I knew that all of my efforts had been in vain. Mal had seen, and now he was hurting more than ever. I felt all off the tension seep out of the room, and although my eyes were closed, I could clearly picture Mal deflating like a popped balloon.