Chapter 14

Hello! I know that this is so late, and I actually have a few reasons (well, more like excuses...) :,(

Firstly I have become addicted to Supernatural, and am currently on the last two episodes of the second season. Secondly, I have been up all hours of the night recently, watching Supernatural. I can barely stay awake at school half the time, and I just haven't had the energy to write. Thirdly, I'm going to Paris this Thursday on a school trip, so I've had to pack and shit for that. Paris, you guys!

Anyway, I'm really sorry about the delay- I'll do my best to make sure it doesn't happen again :)

I'd like to dedicate this chapter to MyStory258 for the encouraging comments, and because I love your cover photo (Hadifer forever!) :)

Enjoy, and maybe drop me a comment/vote ;)

[Nicholas' POV}

What I had just done back at the pier had been profoundly stupid, a terrible mistake. For one moment though, everything (my newfound mate, my awful memories, my father's pack) just caught up to me and for one second I'd though that I could just escape it all. Like it was ever that easy.

There were people counting on me, even if they didn't know it, and this was no time to be a chicken-shit and decided to just check out. It wasn't like I hadn't tried it before (because I had, around three times) or because I didn't think about it anymore (because I did, everyday), it just wasn't an option anymore. I could console myself with the fact that this was, I'd still be dying, just not by my own hand. That'd have to be enough.

Judging from the hard stare I could feel drilling holes in my back, Malcolm wasn't very pleased with me. Fair enough, it had been an incredibly stupid thing to do, but you'd think he'd have gotten over it by now. I just hoped that he hadn't realised what it was I'd actually been trying to do, becaue for some reason I really didn't want Mal to know what a mess I really was.

"Why'd you go and do that, Nicky?," Kee hissed from beside me, keeping his voice low enough that Malcolm and Christopher, several feet behind us, wouldn't hear.

I just shrugged. There was no way that I was talking to Kieran about this, and so help me but if he told Aunt Carla, Samuel, Eimear or Nate, I'd skin him alive myself. Ultimately, I supposed I should be grateful to him for pulling me out of the water (the plan had to go on, after all), but if he'd just left me there, if he'd taken just five more minutes to arrive...

Stop thinking about it, Nicky. You know that you can't, that you shouldn't have tried to do that. Stop thinking about the light feeling, the floating sensation as you drift towards the light... STOP THINKING!

"Ummm... Nicholas? Are you ignoring me, young man?"

I snapped my head up at those words, only to find myself looking at Samuel, standing at the threshold of the back door. Somehow I must have zoned out during the walk home, which even for me, was a new record. Samuel looked at me first, taking in the soaked clothes hanging off me and the fair hair plastered to my skull and cheekbones, then at Kieran behind me, in a similar state but with a more belligerent expression. God only knows what Christopher and Malcolm looked like. Mine, I guessed, was blank. It was always blank, no matter what feelings I meant to display.

Then again, that was probably for the best. Aunt Carla was already one sad-puppy look away from sending me to counselling, and she didn't even know the half of it.