Chapter 3

Hello! Since you've all been so amazing with the voting/commenting, I thought I'd update a little early! I may or may not have a maths test tomorrow, and I kinda didn't study, so I'm hoping I don't. Who needs statistics anyway?

Dedicated to _whatababe_, because her stories are just so brilliant, especially 'Try'!

Hope you like the chapter, and don't forget to vote/comment!

Pic is of Christopher

[Nick's POV]

The extraordinarily attractive guy that had been seated next to me was staring. Again. Maybe it was the cut- I mean, I had looked in a mirror in the last few days, I knew it was fairly bad looking. It had been nearly completely healed before I'd bumped into that guy in the mall cafe the day before and split it open again, but now I could expect it to take about another week and a half before it aded into a pinkish mark. Hopefully it wouldn't scar- I had more than enough of those all over my body, both mine and my father's doing, as well as the bullies at my old school.

Still, Attractive Guy, whom the asshole of a teacher had called Malcolm Nolan, had been staring at me for some time in what he probably thought was a discreet manner, and it was starting to get kind of creepy. I could feel his gaze burning holes in the back of my head, turned away from him as I rested my cheek on the desk, the odd sensation sending little shudders down my spine. I'd felt attracted to boys before, sure- that had never been a secret in my old town, my father had made sure of that- but it had never felt like this. Never before had my stomach churned with butterflies, my spine tickled, all with the force of a mere look. 

Then again, the boys I'd idly crushed on at my old school had never been this attractive, either. Malcolm was tall and slim, yet obviously muscular and built in a way that seemed effortless, like maybe he played sports or ran a lot. He had a light tan that looked every bit as natural as well, perfect smooth skin dotted with the faintest smattering of light freckles on his defined cheekbones. His face was that of a Greek god- straight nose, neither too big nor too small, perfect cheekbones, strong jaw with the faintest hint of stubble. His wavy coppery-brown hair fell over half of his forehead and to just above the nape of his neck, and his liquid hazel-gold eyes seemed to sprakle with good-natured humour.

He was my polar opposite. Perhaps that was why I found him so attractive.

Judging by the dreamy looks cast by at least half the girls in the class, however, I was far from the only one to appreciate Malcolm's physical form. That made me angry for some reason, and I had the suden urge to claw out the eyes of anyone who dared look at Malcolm with lust in their eyes. I caught myself before it could go any further though, this was ridiculous- me acting like I wanted to date Malcolm or soemthing. The very idea was laughable- I was not a person who could date, hell, whatever my father had left of me barely made up a person, and therefore my attraction to Malcolm could never come to anything.

****

My next few classes passed quickly enough. So far I had had Chemistry with both Nate and Eimear (did you know it was possible to blow up a Pyrex vial with a bunsen burner in thirty seconds?), Geometry with Christopher from the cafe (I had avoided him in a rather pathetic manner), and Calculus with Malcolm (who had sat down beside me with a creepy shit-eating grin). I was cursing my academic ability that had landed me into mostly senior classes, as I had discovered that Malcolm was a senior. How Eimear had managed to get into senior Chemistry classes was honestly beyond me. Then again, so was the great mystery of how she'd gotten past the eighth grade. Eimear wasn't one for such pedestrian concepts as 'paying attention in class', 'staying awake in class' or 'completing homework'. I was far from an angel myself, but Eimear's talent for slacking off had always amazed me.