19- The cabin

Sofia's P.O.V.

I left Derek's house as fast as I could, I was having a hard time seeing the road because I was crying so damn hard. I don't know what I was expecting, I knew this is how Derek was going to react.

I got to my apartment, rushing inside so I could get the hell out of town for a while. I closed the apartment door, locking it and turned on my lights.

I jumped at the sight of José and one other man sitting in my apartment.

"Hello, Sofia."

"What the hell do you want?"

"I sure as hell wouldn't be getting snippy with me right now."

"Why did you send that shit to Derek? I don't understand why you would do that?"

"You were getting too close and I thought you warned your little boyfriend about the docks."

"See what happens when you assume shit. Get the fuck out of my apartment. I can't help you anymore because Derek hates me and kicked me out of his house. Is that what you wanted? Huh?" I aggressively pushed José backwards.

He was pissed, I backed away when José took his arm and swiped it across one of my shelves, making everything fall to the floor. Coming closer he kicked the chair to the side.

He got right in my face, "So I'm just supposed to believe that Derek cancelled at the very last minute for no reason at all." He yelled.

I threw my hands in the air, not saying anything.

He backed away, taking a few breaths. "That's okay, I don't need you for intel anymore. I've got other plans for you and him."

"I'm done, I can't do this anymore. It's not my fault you outed me."

"Actually, you outed yourself when you decided to save Nico's life and let me remind you what will happen to your father if you don't help me."

I let out an angry groan, as he laughed at me. "I don't need you right now, but soon Sofia. Very, very soon."

José and his friend got up, "I'll be in touch, Sofia."

They shut the door and I ran over to lock it. Leaning up against the door I tried calming down, my stomach was slightly cramping. I took a few deep breaths before heading to my bedroom. I grabbed my suitcase and packed a bunch of clothes and the evidence José had given me.

Throwing my bag in the car, I got in and was about to head out when the cramps started again.

"Shit!" I yelled, as I held my stomach.

I sat there for a moment, while the mild cramping had passed.

When they finished, I headed out. Stopping at a gas station to fill up my car, I went in and grabbed some water, crackers and a few other things to hold me over for the next few days.

My family owned a private cabin, about forty minutes from the city and that's exactly what I needed right now; privacy! No stress, no men, just me trying to stay calm so I can keep Derek and my sweet baby safe.

******
Once I got to the cabin, I opened it all up and unloaded all my stuff.

I started up the fireplace in the living room, grabbing a blanket I sat down. I was eating some saltine crackers when I decided I should call Garrett…

"Hey Fi, everything okay?"

I wanted to cry, but I swallowed hard and tried forgetting everything that just happened.

"The baby is okay, if that's what you mean? I do have some cramping just only mild here and there."

"How's your stress level on a scale one to ten?"

"Fifty! That's actually why I'm calling, Boss. I need a break, I'm going out of town for a while and I was hoping you would allow some time off?"

"Of course you can, but Sofia, what's going on?"

I wiped the tears from my eyes, "I didn't get a chance to tell Derek I was pregnant, he's mad at me and I feel like my life is falling apart."

"Do you want me to come to you?"

"You work tonight, I'm fine I just really really need to be by myself right now. Thank you for being a good friend, Garrett."

"I can call in sick… I have takingcareofapregnatlady-itis."

I busted out laughing. "You are seriously an amazing friend and boss, but I'll be fine, I promise."

"Alright, if you need anything call me okay?"

"I will, thank you!"

"Bye, Sof."

"Bye."

I couldn't help but still smile. I needed that right now, but then reality came crashing back at me when I looked around my empty cabin, as I sat there alone.

I looked at my phone, in hopes Derek called or sent me a message, but he didn't. I leaned forward, rubbing my stomach. "Don't worry little one, mommy will fix this."

I picked up my phone again, I needed to call Leo back…

"Sofia, took you long enough."

"Sorry, I've had a really shitty day. What did you find?"

"Sofia, you need to stay away from this guy. He isn't who he says he is. His real name is Juan Carlos and with what I've found, his brother Pedro was killed. Looks like he borrowed a lot of money from Derek Rynes but couldn't pay it back. I thought you said it was about a patient, Sofia?"

"It is, that's totally coincidental. So Derek killed his brother?"

"I would assume so, Derek's gang loans out money as another source of income. He's a good kid, just deals with really shady people. There's another thing… Juan was also affiliated with the Eagle Riders, he was in the process of undergoing an initiation, when the thing with you went down."

He was part of the men that hurt me, this is how he has so much information on that night. "What? Are you positive?"

"Are you seriously doubting my P.I. skills?" He chuckled.

"No, I'm sorry I'm just trying to process all this." I paused for a moment, "So who is the real José Romero, just a fake name?"

"No, actually José Romero went to the academy and when he was supposed to move and start with the NYPD, Juan showed up instead. My guess is, Juan killed José and took his place."

"What the fuck."

"You need to call your father."

"NO, and you won't either, I paid you for a job and that's where it ends. I appreciate it, but my father will not know about this, do you understand?"

"Loud and clear. Be careful, if you need anything make sure you call me."

"I will, Thank you, Leo."

Hanging up the phone, I sat back. I was more confused. Now I needed to figure out how I was going to go about this? I think I needed to call my Uncle Silas; Nico's Dad. He's my dad's right hand man and someone I knew would point me in the right direction of this shit show that was my life. Fucking hell…

This was a lot bigger than I realized.