The Man of the Hour

"You know, Ryan, I've never taken you to play lacrosse," Seth chipped in, as Ryan walked to the sidelines to grab himself a bottle of water. 

"Yeah well, it's college, man. You gotta try things out." Ryan said, taking a sip from his water. 

"The last time you did any sports, you tried to tackle Luke down to the ground," Seth reminded. 

Ryan slapped Seth on the arm, chuckling. "Change is good, man. Well, how about you, you're the one who has your comic book published. The event's tonight, right?" He asked. 

"Yeah, yeah," Seth said. "I should probably go. Oh look, there's Summer and Marissa!" He revealed, pointing towards two people across from them heading their way. 

Ryan turned his head for a while, before looking back at Seth. "Well, I got to get back to the game." He said, before sprinting away from Seth just in time Marissa and Summer were closer. He could still hear Marissa saying something along the lines well, see you later but didn't bother to look back. Ever since they spent a night together in Vegas, she had been avoiding her. Or maybe it was him - the one who didn't want to deal with it. 

"Seth, you ready to go?" Summer asked, punching Seth lightly on the arm. 

Seth huffed, looking down on Summer. "Yeah, just one thing though.. Is your dad still mad about the whole thing?" He asked. 

"I really don't want to talk about it, Seth," Summer frowned. After that one dinner on Christmukkah, when she told his father the truth, she wasn't on good terms with him ever since. It really broke her especially when they were best friends. Hence why she chose to go away to Vegas with Seth to begin with instead of going to the acting courses that she'd taken while still looking out for any possible auditions. 

"It's going to be okay, Sum," Marissa assured, resting her hand on Summer's shoulder. 

"Hey, I wasn't going to say that." Seth trailed. 

Marissa rolled her eyes, "We actually came down here to tell you that someone wanted to talk to you about the event tonight. So you better go if you don't want to miss anything," She stated. 

Seth nodded, pulling Summer with him. Marissa was left alone, watching over the field - well, actually, her eyes were trained on Ryan. She thought about that night, how good he tasted after she pushed him on the bed - staring right at him pulling a muscle as he made a score. She shrugged away the thoughts, as much as she'd love to try again with him, she knew she couldn't. 

She looked away as he caught her staring, shifting uncomfortably. 

A loud whistle came on the next, as Ryan ran towards her, sweats were dripping over his face. He looked over at her. "I haven't seen you around in a while," He began. 

"Yeah well, I just started volunteering down at the hospital on the town next door, then a night shift at the diner after." She replied, looking straight into the other players, avoiding to gaze at his arms.  

He nodded, "You're going to Seth's event tonight, right?" He asked.

"That's the plan," She answered. "Why, do you want to offer getting ready together because you're probably going to have so much trouble picking a suit?" She stated.

"Very funny, Marissa," He snorted a laugh, brushing against her skin. "But we can definitely go together, if you want?" 

A smile tugged at her lips. "Well, come on, what are we waiting for?" She said, shoving him out of the field, into her car. Clearly, she didn't even bother to ask whether he came in with a car himself. He did.